• fun with google earth

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by SubwayChaser

I hope I'm not divulging any national security secrets, but I was looking at Naval Weapons station Earle, and some of the track configurations look like something out of an 0-27 Lionel floor layout, pretty interesting. One section (parallel to the Southern Sec., just south of Rt. 18) looks like a stretch with about 26 reversing loops. Pretty cool, you guys should check it out. Coordinates are: 40deg 14'39.53" by 74deg 06' 27.69" enjoy!

by Alcoman

Using Google Earth, I have found Naparano Iron & Metal, Oak Island, Greenville, Ridgefield Park, Little Ferry. New York Cross Harbor-NY side,The Old Alco Plant in UpState NY, and the list goes on...
Your right, it is fun.
  by washingtonsecondary

SubwayChaser wrote:I hope I'm not divulging any national security secrets, but I was looking at Naval Weapons station Earle, and some of the track configurations look like something out of an 0-27 Lionel floor layout, pretty interesting. One section (parallel to the Southern Sec., just south of Rt. 18) looks like a stretch with about 26 reversing loops. Pretty cool, you guys should check it out. Coordinates are: 40deg 14'39.53" by 74deg 06' 27.69" enjoy!
In most cases, anything that is considered "secure" is actually omitted. Look at the white house and the old executive building next to it. Their roofs are totally blocked. The Capitol builing is tiled out too.

I stand totally corrected. The Capitol is not tiled out anymore (At one time it was though) and only parts of the White House roof are deleted.

by Sir Ray

MSN's local live is pretty good too, as it seems to have better resolution in many cases. Of course, not all areas are covered, but the NEC area is pretty well covered.
BTW, note that Google Earth for, say, Baffin Island in Canada does not have quite the resolution as say, central Jersey (where I was using google earth to look for those narrow gauge tracks at the Allere[sp?] airport mentioned in another thread... :P

by Steve F45

i use google earth here at home and think map at work. Think map only covers bergen county since i work for the pd. But its pretty good and is nice and clear.

anyone know what tracks spured off the njt main line near kingsland and went south towards north arlington and then had a spur to re-connect e/b on the main in lyndhurst near the meadowlands developement site?

by NorfolkSouthernSean

I like how you can look at the entire country of Iraq at more detail than our country. I mean New Jersey is on there clear as day, but look at Pennsylvania or New York.