• AUTO ACCESS TO THE LACKAWANNA NEW JERSEY CUTOFF

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJ Vike

EDM5970 wrote:Uh, wouldn't driving on the Cutoff be trespassing, and pretty blatant at that? To say nothing of driving across someone's back yard in Slateford- Lets try and be more responsible here.
I can imagine the police catching someone driving on the Viaduct. Okay you. Get that vehicle down NOW ;-)

Yes, something like that would attract more bad press.

by NJ Vike

Anyone interested in getting together for a hike there in the fall?

Also, I have some great shot of the Cut-off and the NYS&W/L&NE shots all the way up to Swartswood station if anyone is intetested in viewing them which brings me to a question: What site do you use to store photos other than your own home page? I've seen a few but could anyone recommed one? Also, what is your choice in size for uploading your photos?

Ken

by JLo

In the fall, off road bikes are all over the ROW. In fact, you have to be alert when you hike it, as some of the yahoos come roaring around curves.

by sullivan1985

NJ Vike wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:The only place that I had been able to get to the ROW was at Paulines Kill Viaduct. But it was one hell of a steep climb from the Station rd. undernieth to the trackbad at the top. Found 10 bucks during my climb so it wasn't that bad.

The ROW also looks very accessable at Blairstown Station...
I will be heading there this fall and will attempt the climb up. At least while I write this. I can also chicken out and just go from Blairstown.

Is there anyway to attmept this from the PA side?

How was it going back down?

Ken
Lets just say bring a good pair of hiking boots, because its like a 50 degree angle when your almost up to the track bed. Never walked around the blairstown station though, only drove past it.

As for the PA side, yeah it looks like there are plenty of ways to get across, infact when I was at Paulines Kill, I met some kid who says him and his friends ride the cutoff with ATV's pretty often from PA to Port Morris area and back.

by NJ Vike

sullivan1985 wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:
sullivan1985 wrote:The only place that I had been able to get to the ROW was at Paulines Kill Viaduct. But it was one hell of a steep climb from the Station rd. undernieth to the trackbad at the top. Found 10 bucks during my climb so it wasn't that bad.

The ROW also looks very accessable at Blairstown Station...
I will be heading there this fall and will attempt the climb up. At least while I write this. I can also chicken out and just go from Blairstown.

Is there anyway to attempt this from the PA side?

How was it going back down?

Ken
Lets just say bring a good pair of hiking boots, because its like a 50 degree angle when your almost up to the track bed. Never walked around the Blairstown station though, only drove past it.

As for the PA side, yeah it looks like there are plenty of ways to get across, in fact when I was at Paulines Kill, I met some kid who says him and his friends ride the cutoff with ATV's pretty often from PA to Port Morris area and back.
Thanks Mike,

I'm not too concerned about going up. It's back down that will probably scare me.

Maybe, I'll just walk or hitch a ride on the PA side.

I wonder how they do the entire cutoff when the station at Green is barricaded?

by Greg

The climb isn't that bad. Try going up the southern side on the east bank of the Paulins Kill, there is an ATV path that is not too steep.

Don,

I don't think your Cadoo would be scratch-free this time, there are quite a few whoop-de-doos west of the Paulins Kill Viaduct that made using my mountain bike somewhat difficult.

by NJ Vike

Greg wrote:The climb isn't that bad. Try going up the southern side on the east bank of the Paulins Kill, there is an ATV path that is not too steep.

Don,

I don't think your Cadoo would be scratch-free this time, there are quite a few whoop-de-doos west of the Paulins Kill Viaduct that made using my mountain bike somewhat difficult.
Greg,

Thanks. I'll take the chance.

by CarterB

Can anyone give an update as to best East end access to the cutoff and suggested place/s to park? Friends with ATVs/dirt bikes would like to give it a try.

by Uzi-Cat

I drove the Cut-off from Johnsonburg to the Water Gap Viaduct last year in a jeep Wrangler. The car got scratched up but a good detailing fixed all the scratches. Vehicular access is somewhat limited now though. I don't see where you can get a vehicle on the cut-off now. Beware of the locals around the viaduct in the water gap though. We ran into automatic gunfire there and got the hell out of there. There is no way to get off the cut-off around the Water Gap.
I rode the east end of the cut-off on a quad about 4 months ago. We drove from Port Morris to Andover. Easy to do on a quad. It is quite wet on the east end around Roseville. The grade crossing near Port Morris had guard rails on both sides and is well blocked. We couldn't get though with our quad easily.

scott

by CarterB

Yes, that route, Russ

by mikedc3

Hey Carter, How you been??

This is kinda a tricky question to answer. Since I take a truck on the cut off, I never have to leave anything out near the street, So I'm not really sure about where to park. However, I do know of 2 places where I know people routinely leave pickups or cars\trailers and then take their ATV's on the line. I have NEVER heard of them having any trouble doing that but you never know.

The first place is the Path Mark on Lakeside Bvld. In Landing. To get there, take 80W to exit 28. At the bottom of the ramp go straight up the hill. This is Landing Bvld, It ends at the 1st light. There you make a left onto Lakeside. The PM is up on the left. If they go around back of the store the building is "L" shaped as is the lot behind it. In the corner of the lot they will see a dirt road going up into a field. They can unload their bikes here and find a place to park. The people I know park in the main lot out front. All they have to do is follow that dirt road through the field. I believe it's owned by JCPnL. In the field there is some abandoned JCPnL equipment. Pass that and you will come to the very beginning of the cut off. There is a path that leads right out to it, right next to Port Morris tower. Once they get up on the ROW, they go to the right which is North\West.

Up about 1\2 mile is the road crossing. There is guard rails blocking both sides but, There ARE a few ways around them. It's too hard to explain but they can get through. Right by this guard rail, There is an old bridge that the road used to go under. I suggest they park under that bridge and walk up to the road to find the way across. If they follow the dirt trails they will get across. People do it all the time but explaining it is tough.

The second place I know people park and ride is on CR 605 in Stanhope.

To get there, Follow the same directions but instead of turning into the Path Mark, They will go straight up Lakeside Bvld to the second light. This is Brooklyn Stanhope Rd. Turn Left here. Follow it through the bends and they will cross the cut off at those guard rails. After that, they will see a gas station on the right. Turn right after the station. This is CR. 605. They will pass a High School on the left right away. After the HS, They will come to a bridge over the CO. They can park on the shoulder off the road on the far side of the bridge. There is a driveway there for some garage so they can't block that. But people park around the driveway all the time.

To get on the CO from there. They have to come back across the bridge and make a right down a dirt road. There is a gate there now and you can't get caught riding there. But people do it all the time. They have to follow this road down until they come to a wooden guard rail on the right. There is a break in it they have to go through and the CO is straight ahead. They can't miss it as it's only 30 yards or so from the guard rail.

Again, I have never heard of anyone having any trouble parking in these places but there is no guaranty.

Just a few more things. As of a few weeks ago, You could drive a small SUV from Stanhope to at least the PK Viaduct. It is still tight in places but it's open and passable. It will get scratched!!!! I built my SUV specifically for off roading, Knowing it would get scratched,dented,broken so I don't care about that. Quads\dirt bikes will have NO problem.

The last time I was up on the Del river bridge there WAS a dirt road out to the street. It may be hard to see though because the line is up on a fill there and this road goes down a steep hill. But there definitely was a way down from the bridge area on the Jersey side. I should be up there in the next few weeks and will look for myself.

I have never seen or heard of anyone getting into any trouble for being on the cut off. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen but I have never seen it.

There are dozens of other trails off of the CO they can ride as well. They should bring extra fuel and a t least a tire repair kit with them!!!!!

Why don't you get yourself an ATV and join em????

by CarterB

Mike,
Thanks for the excellent info. I will pass it on. I may well go with them on one of their spare ATVs!!!