• Metuchen Yard Freight Derailment

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by nick11a

Well, I had a free morning for once and decided to go check out Metuchen Yard as I have been by it many times but never actually been to it. Well, as I'm driving there, I have my scanner on and am hearing some interesting chatter. After a few minutes, I realize they had a derailment there (with the ME2 I think.) Crews made comments such as "She won't budge", "the truck is on the ground" and "there goes the whole ballgame." So, when I get there, I couldn't get really near the yard area. Metuchen Police and blocked off the area. I could see the Whitman Rd. Crossing though. The derailed train was blocking the crossing. The cars were lumber cars from the looks of them. This means, until it is cleared, no other train can leave the yard area. My chain of bad luck continues....

by nick11a

Can somebody post the article in here? I'm a comcast subsriber via my family but have no clue what our customer subscriber number is and I'm at school now.

by CNJFAN

HOW'S THIS NICK??

Track problems cause four freight train cars to derail in Edison

(02/22/06) EDISON - Four cars of a freight train hauling lumber and plastic derailed Wednesday morning.

Conrail officials say the cars remained upright and only caused minor traffic problems. According to Conrail officials, the train had left a Metuchen rail yard and derailed due to track problems.

Officials say no one was injured in the accident. The accident did not affect passenger trains. Conrail expects to have the freight train back on the tracks by the afternoon.

by CJPat

I remember back up to into the early eighties that derailments occurred fairly regularly on the Metuchen tracks back in the days when freights regularly plied that main line. Everyone thought that one day, a chlorine tanker was going to go over and cause MAJOR problems. Back then, someone had told me it had something to do with the curves through Metuchen but now a days, I wonder if it had anything to do with the decent of PRR to PC to Conrail and status of maintenance.

by nick11a

Thanks for posting it CNJFAN. :-) They were up and running fully today.

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

I shouldva went over there and checked it out