• Old ROW in Center Conway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by trainsinmaine

While we're on the subject of Conway: I was in Center Conway a few years back and found what was clearly an old ROW that ran roughly parallel to Mill Street for about a mile. As I got nearer Conway Lake I lost it. I'm assuming this may have been a spur off the MEC into whatever mill existed on the street, or that was a logging railroad that continued farther south. I didn't have the time to investigate it. Does anyone know?
  by wolfmom69

There was a long "spur" to a sawmill owned by the Cotton family,and this is what I believe you saw.(I partially explored it about 20 years ago,while the wife was rummaging around a big church yard sale in that area.)

The spur is shown in the 1892 map of that area. The Maine Central Mountain Division book,in the track diagram sections,shows the track to be close to mile in length,from the mainline,where it branched off,just east of the passing track,and team tracks at the old station location.

Had to cross what is now Rt. 302,and I wonder if the sawmill had its own locomotive,or if the MEC way freights did the switching???

Hope this helps,and I bet the Conway Historical Center/Library could give you the "details"!

Bud :-)