• L&HR Bridge in P'burg

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by carajul

I just read on the below thread that the L&HR bridge in P'burg is "inactive". Is this true? Everytime I'm in P'burg the rails are always very shiny. Last year I saw a train parked on the bridge with a string of box cars.

I guess the trains can also get to downtown P'burg and the yard there by crossing the river on the old CNJ bridge (Lehigh line) and then turn at the old DL&W Station.

by washingtonsecondary

That bridge sees traffic at least once a day on most days.
  by Ken W2KB

carajul wrote:I guess the trains can also get to downtown P'burg and the yard there by crossing the river on the old CNJ bridge (Lehigh line) and then turn at the old DL&W Station.
There is no connecting track between the ex-CNJ and Bel Del. The single track Washington Secondary and the single track Lehigh Line simply merge just west of the station. Could have been done via the Lehigh Valley in the ancient days, but not since the LV main was pulled.

by the missing link

oh some heavy stuff still goes over that bridge!the coal train up to portland generating station.follow it someday.it usually goes pretty slow.only,you cant cross over where they do at brainerds/martins creek.if they can run stuff like that over that bridge,how come the tracks havent been relaid to sparta?

by washingtonsecondary

Just because they can run heavy stuff over 1 bridge doesn't mean NS must relay useless track. Using that logic, if they move X amount of tonnage over the Lehigh Line, they must rebuild the cut off. That makes no sence.

Also, on a more practical side, some of the L&HR's old ROW is now underneath some parking lots and other structures. Take a look at Sparta Junction on google earth and move south along the ROW. You run smack into an office parking lot and building after a few miles.

by the missing link

if the bridge is still viable,it could be good trafic for susqehanna from that direction.usually if a bridge weakens,the rest of the line goes and its over.we'll never have maybrook again.agreed.buisness sense yes,the weak lines die.but that line was taken up out of spite.who owns the property now south of sparta?was it broken up or are those buildings encroaching.

by David

For the most part, the L&HR ROW south from Sparta Junction to Belvedere is clear of any structures except for a parking lot for a small industry in Andover adjacent to Route 206. Portions of the ROW, from my understanding, have been sold off to several new owners. Hopefully, there might be a need to relay the tracks, however for now, that is a distant wish.