• Last steam engine in Danvers, Mass.

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Steam

We just found 2 photos at the Walker Transportation Collection - Beverly Historical Society, which show the last steam engine at Danvers. It happened on June 20, 1956, and the locomotive was #3662, one of the few remaining Pacific types on the road at that late date. The train was a late afternoon commuter job from Boston, via Wakefield Jct., and the Western Div. Newburyport Branch. Upon arriving at Danvers, the locomotive was run around the train and backed it's consist to Salem in a deadhead move over the Eastern Div. Lawrence Branch. Both photos are marked, "Last steam engine into Danvers" on the back. The 3662 looks in tough shape, with the Worthington feedwater pump missing from under the left running board next to the air compressor. 3 months later she'd be on her way to a Pennsylvania steel mill, with her remaining sisters.
  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Well, as Trace Adkins sings, slap your grandmaw! I lived within spitting distance of Wakefield Junction until 1962, and I don't think I ever saw a P-anything on the Newburyport Branch. The commuter runs were handled by B-15s and the High Car by K-8 #2726, usually - conductor Olsen, forgot the engineer's name. Not that the r-o-w couldn't handle it - after all, they did move the Big Boy to/from Pleasure Island by this route. OK, so much for rambling - got to go take my medication now.

PBM
  by b&m 1566

Steam wrote:We just found 2 photos at the Walker Transportation Collection - Beverly Historical Society, which show the last steam engine at Danvers. It happened on June 20, 1956, and the locomotive was #3662, one of the few remaining Pacific types on the road at that late date. The train was a late afternoon commuter job from Boston, via Wakefield Jct., and the Western Div. Newburyport Branch. Upon arriving at Danvers, the locomotive was run around the train and backed it's consist to Salem in a deadhead move over the Eastern Div. Lawrence Branch. Both photos are marked, "Last steam engine into Danvers" on the back. The 3662 looks in tough shape, with the Worthington feedwater pump missing from under the left running board next to the air compressor. 3 months later she'd be on her way to a Pennsylvania steel mill, with her remaining sisters.
So was this the Last Steam engine to operate for the B&M or was it the last one to go into Danvers, MA? I thought the last steam engine to operate for the B&M was in June or July of 1957.

by Steam

As stated, this was the last steam to operate into Danvers.

The last regular steam operation on the B&M was on the line to Marblehead via Swampscott and Salem. That occured in August of 1956, but nobody has been able to pinpoint an exact date.

Two steamers were kept for snowmelting purposes beyond August of 1956. They were the 3713 (4-6-2) and the 622 (0-8-0). The 3713 ran in that capacity as late as 1958 before going to Pleasure Island in Wakefield, as part of the Nelson Blount collection in June of 1959. I saw her there on opening day. There was still coal in the tender, ash and clinkers in the firebox, and a boiler inspection tag on the steam gauge which was dated 1958. Blount did not want the 622 (too mundane) and she was scrapped.