Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

I read in the Herald-argus a few days ago about a railroad museum being formed in Wanatah, IN. Appearently the south shore is donating a caboose and a freight car for display. The is the first I've heard about it. We've only got 3 cabooses left anyways, unless they've hidden equipment somewhere.

by Tadman

Seems to me there's been a ex-ATSF cab stashed at Bethlehem Steel - my favorite CSS cab, with the yellow herald painted solid yellow and a small CSS logo over it. Real CSS flavor there.

by PRRGuy

Well, it's gotta be either the 004 or the 006. Hopefully its the one with the cupola windows plated over, i think thats the 006
Last edited by PRRGuy on Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Tadman

thats the one I saw. I remember seeing those roll thru downtown MC when I was a kid.

by PRRGuy

Actually, there's 3 ex- ATSF cabooses on roster. 001, 004, and 006.
The 001 is in the orange paint job and for the last week has been in shops yard. The 004 and 006 are both still in their former atsf red paint job with south shore heralds placed in the yellow circles.
Last edited by PRRGuy on Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by PRRGuy

This is the "suspect" caboose that could, may have been, not quite sure if it was, donated to the museum.

Image[/img]

by byte

Anyone know the purpose of plating the windows over?

by MikeF

Plating over caboose windows was common practice by the railroads back in the early '80s (I think) when the FRA upped the standards for glazing in occupied cars. Sheet steel was cheaper than FRA-compliant glass.

by PRRGuy

I always wondered what that one is the only one with plated over windows. The other two are open, mostly broken windows but non-plated.

by PRRGuy

Ok, now I officially have NO idea what caboose this place has. I've seen all three out there on the line in the past week. As of 2-3-06: 001 is in shops yard. 004 is at burnham and 006 is near bailey.