• IC 6071

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by emd_SD_60

I was checking a Yahoo Group I belong to, and it says the 6071 is currently down due to traction motor trouble. Let's hope it's not the end of the line for the 6071, as it's a one-of-a kind locomotive. :(
IC 6071 MAY be it!!! Heard today, it is sidelined due to traction motor trouble.

Could this be the end???
Hope not! Hope it's back online right as I type! :wink:

A picture, for some of those not familiar with the 6071:

by AmtrakFan

This is very sad but I hope CN will donate it to a Museum once they realize how historic it is.

by emd_SD_60

Remember, it only mentioned that it MIGHT be the end for the 6071. Hopefully it's only a rumor and it is back online. I wonder if e-mailing CN about this particular locomotive will do any good. Probably wouldn't hurt to. :wink: And if it is true and 6071 has met its end , yes I want it put in a museum, restored back into it's red and white GM&O paint!

And does anyone remember the 6072, built as MKT 637 and pieced together in 1985 from wrecked MKT SD40-2's 613 and 628, later becoming UP 3844? Luckily that one still is on the roster, although I haven't seen it since last September! :(

by emd_SD_60

Well, it looks like the 6071 is back on track, as seen here:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=114220

:-D

by natethegreat

Its good to see 6071 back, at least its not in CN paint yet...

by UPRR engineer

Traction motor trouble is no big deal. Well it is for the guys that have to change it out, but its not a reason to give up on a unit.

by metra 613

I saw 6071 everday this week.Its been used alot around chicago this week. It looks very nice.

by ic9623

I saw it just a week aga on a north bound out of Mattoon Illinois. Looks good and sounds good to!