• Geneva, NY tracks

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by CPSD40-2

Not sure if this is NYC or LV related, so I am posting it here!

Along route 14, north of the LV overpass, there's a hardware store, with a Nutrena feeds place behind it. I would imagine that at some point, the feed mill was served by rail. However, its downgrade from both the NYC Auburn line, and from the LV main. Anyone know if it was served at all, and if so, by who?

by charlie6017

I don't know if it's served, but if it is, it would be by Finger Lakes Railway.

by CPSD40-2

Nope, its not served currently. I'll have to go back in there and check around to see if any roadbed is there.

by SRS125

that small industrial park is kind of a hit and miss spot as far as switching gos. I can tell ya its ex NYC trackage back in there all that remains of the LV is whats fenced in at suburban propane and the tracks going over 5&20 heading south.

by checexcitation

I think SRS125 is right about this one. Its ex NYC a ways behind the facility, but it does not look to me like it had direct rail service.
An interesting LVRR relic in Geneva that has not been commented on (as far as I know) is the large concrete structure built into the side of the LV fill near the RT 14 underpass. It's on the south embankment between the ex NYC line and Rt. 14. I don't know the name of the road that goes in front of it, but when heading south into Geneva it would be the first right turn after going through the abutments of the LV. It obviously was a coal
unloading facility with several chutes (different grades or sizes of coal?)
Does anyone have or anyone seen any photos of this thing in use? Or actually saw it in use?

by SRS125

checexcitation wrote:I think SRS125 is right about this one. Its ex NYC a ways behind the facility, but it does not look to me like it had direct rail service.
An interesting LVRR relic in Geneva that has not been commented on (as far as I know) is the large concrete structure built into the side of the LV fill near the RT 14 underpass. It's on the south embankment between the ex NYC line and Rt. 14. I don't know the name of the road that goes in front of it, but when heading south into Geneva it would be the first right turn after going through the abutments of the LV. It obviously was a coal
unloading facility with several chutes (different grades or sizes of coal?)
Does anyone have or anyone seen any photos of this thing in use? Or actually saw it in use?
Are you talking about he Old Coal dealer behind Wyattes station? Wyattes used to be the the Lehigh Valley Fraght house there was a Coal dealer behind it. The tracks came in down grade next to the FGLK Yard and crossed over it at grade. When people refer to you the New LV Connection there talking about the current section of track that comes out next to the FGLK Yard office off the LV Main line. A good friend of mine can rember back in the days of the LV and PC and early Conrail days trains used to have to run the LV Main just to spot cars in Geneva even thow the yard was next to all 3 industrys all this just to spot cars into Suburban, the fraght house and the coal dealer. Conrail took this out and reversed the flow of traffic into suburban and made all that into a switch back.

if I know how to do all this photo posting on these pages which I got no clue how to do it and don't tell me how to becouse I'll never get it anyways. I could post the Blue Prints of all this of the befor (LV/NYC/PC)
and after (CR) and current under FGLK of this whole mess in there.

by checexcitation

Nope.
I'm aware of the coal dealer behind Wyatts. There is a rather substantial structure on the south side of the old mainline. This would have placed it about two or three blocks east of the existing passenger station. There is a small building at the bottom that looks like it was the office for the site.
It's kinda neat to see, and much easier with the leafs gone as almost the entire fill of the elevated LV tracks through the area are grown in with large trees.

by SRS125

humm you got me swinging this calls for a field trip I'll have to go check it out for my self when I get a chance.