• Can anyone help me with these 2 caboose's?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Steve F45

On my day off i was hanging around the ridgefield park station when a s/b csx train went buy. All of a sudden i see 2 cabooses stuck between the cars. I was like wtf and kinda laughing at the same time. Got 2 quick pics off of them. Looks like they were somekind of memorial car or something. But im more curious as to there history.
Here they are.

by metman499

They are part of the Mass. Vol. Firefighters train. This is a group that is based out of Springfield, MA. They help train firefighters on how to deal with situations that may exist on the rails. I've seen the cabooses, tank cars, box cars, and some ex-LIRR coaches when they came through Syracuse while I was there two years ago.
  by caboose9

2005Vdub said, "I'm curious as to their history."

Hi dub,

The 2 cabooses in your shots are CR/MCVX 21245 & IC/PAL/MCVX 9657.

The Massachusetts Call & Volunteer Firefighters Safety Train has a third caboose - steel, small bay window, CR 21212/MCVX 21212.

They are stored in the CSX West Springfield, MA, Yard when not in use.

Roger

by Steve F45

What were they before the Mass/vol fd cabooses?

by mountie17

Vdub- when did you see them? I saw the two last week.
  by railrob

They are heading south for new paint jobs. The red one should come back a darker red and the 9657 will have the new CSX loco colors.
Rob

by nick11a

I saw the yellow/gray one heading west on the Lehigh Line on the rear end of a CSX train this past summer. It caught all of us by surprise. I remember seeing it and yelling "Caboose!" and all of the other buffs there looked at me like I'm crazy- saw where I was pointing and quickly tried to re-get their cameras out in time for shot (as did I). :-D

by Steve F45

I saw it last week on the river line in Ridgefield park at the old station. I was hanging around down by the old bbq rest. parking lot and nothing. I go up there and 2 s/b and 1n/b go buy. This was in the first s/b right in the middle of the consist. There was some guy waiting like i was, he left right as they started to appear by mt.vernon st.

by riffian

The bay window car appears to be of New York Central heritage(via Penn Central/Conrail). The cupola car, without a doubt, is former Illinois Central.

by caboose9

riffian said "The bay window car appears to be of NYC heritage (via PC/CR). The cupola car is former Illinois Central."

The 2 cabooses are CR/MCVX 21245 & IC/PAL/MCVX 9657.

by hioo1

I saw the yellow/gray one heading west on the Lehigh Line on the rear end of a CSX train this past summer. It caught all of us by surprise. I remember seeing it and yelling "Caboose!" and all of the other buffs there looked at me like I'm crazy- saw where I was pointing and quickly tried to re-get their cameras out in time for shot (as did I). Very Happy
And that is why I don't put the camera away till the train passes, since I have found a couple interesting things on the rear of trains, (cabooses, passenger cars...etc.)