• Streetcar Bodies

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Conrad Misek

Hello: One of my favorite railfan activities is finding and photographing/documenting streetcar bodies that have been reused as cottages, sheds, etc. Could anyone help me with current information/better location data on some carbodies I have been told exist in the Cape May/Wildwood area? They are:

Burleigh: A carbody is/was in use as a dog kennel on Route 9.

Mainland (Mayville???) A carbody is/was in use as a Gift Shop, I have no better info (name of business, address, etc).

Wildwood : I’ve been told that a carbody is in use as an information stand or for some similar use, and that the carhouse still stands. Can anyone confirm and give any better location info?

Also a carbody is/was at the Cape May Dump, either abandoned or in use as an office, etc. Is this still there, and is it accessible (fenced in, etc.). I don’t know where the dump is located.

I have a slide (late 1960s), no caption at all, that shows a 5 Mile Beach single truck open carbody in use at a horse farm, probably as a sort of sitting shelter/gazebo. Is anyone familiar with the location or fate of the carbody?

Lawrence Harbor (much further north): I’ve been told a Public Service carbody is built into a home, does anyone know the address?

I’m planning a trip to South Jersey and would love to photograph this stuff (or learn about any other carbodies I don’t know of).

Thanks for any help provided, and I will be happy to reciprocate with any info I have on carbodies I’ve found.....I’ve had good luck in Pennsylvania especially.

I’m at [email protected].

Sincerely,
Conrad Misek
Quincy, MA

by snavely

There's one in Point Pleasant that has been incorporated into a private residence. It's on Dunkle Road and has a sign in front reading Trolley House. Don't know the number but the street's only a block long, the house is on the south side about 2 or 3 houses from River Ave. and was recently renovated and looks real good.

by Conrad Misek

Thanks for the Point Pleasant info. Glad to hear the carbody has a proud owner, Ill definitely add this to my "to do" list.