• Silencing trains comes at a price

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railtrailbiker

KINGSTON - The cost to establish the recommended system to silence train whistles in the city could be between $1 and $1.44 million, according to a consultant's report on so-called grade crossing quiet zones.

Also, it could cost an equal amount to implement the quiet zone plan in the town of Ulster, according to the report compiled by R.L. Banks Associates Inc. of Washington, D.C.

The next step, city officials and the report say, will be to come up with a plan to pay for the work. While Mayor James Sottile has said establishing quiet zones has been a priority of his administration and that train whistle noise is the most common complaint to his office, he did not commit Wednesday to using city funds to pay for the installation of the zones.

Sottile said he wanted to seek out other sources of funding, perhaps from the state or federal government, to get the job done. The mayor, however, did not rule out the possibility that if all else fails he would ask the Common Council to authorize borrowing the money.
http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.c ... 4969&rfi=6
  by b&m617

I'm amazed and I shouldn't be on how they can throw taxpayer money around to satisfy the yuppies. When a so called driver runs the "unbreachable" gates they will sue the *ss off the city....
all for "quiet zones"...don't like the noise of an operating railroad??
Don't move in near one... :wink:

I feel better now.. :P

work safe
Derail