Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by metraRI

I didn't have time to say this earlier, but SWS's inbound morning schedule is an improvement...not so sure about the outbound. The current 3:00-4:30 gap was made bigger by 20 minutes, not sure how that works.
  by oldtimer

Who do we complain to regarding the 2:40 to 4:30 gap and at the same time the elimination of the #835 Pace service that was an alternative(be it poor) in between? :( :( :( :(

by doepack

I'm just glad that Sunday service on UP-W has finally been upgraded, and that 2 train sets are kept on the route all day. No more ridiculous 3 hour midday gaps between trains...

by AMTK84

Yeah, that was and is still a pain in the eye especially for those of us at Geneva on Sundays; 5 hours between service and nighttime service wasn't much better...I'm interested to see how equipment cycles play out.

by AMTK84

Does anyone know what the plan is for moving stuff out to Elburn for the new service?

by doepack

AMTK84 wrote:Yeah, that was and is still a pain in the eye especially for those of us at Geneva on Sundays; 5 hours between service and nighttime service wasn't much better...I'm interested to see how equipment cycles play out.
I expect the equipment cycles to stay more or less the same since the weekday and Saturday schedules weren't really changed that much. Something to keep an eye on though, would be train 63, the 1840 dep. out of OTC. This train is currently turned from inbound train 58, arr OTC at 1815. Since 58 will now be arriving 33 min. later, 63 will either now originate as a put-out from California yard, or be turned from a different train. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
  by metraRI

oldtimer wrote:Who do we complain to regarding the 2:40 to 4:30 gap and at the same time the elimination of the #835 Pace service that was an alternative(be it poor) in between? :( :( :( :(
I am really suprised they kept the gap. Right now the 3:00 train has 4 cars open, while the 4:30 has 8. Don't know why Metra didn't see the need for an additional train between the two.

They could have fit a 3:45 in there and possibly made the 4:30 earlier so it could go all the way to 179th Street. I would hope they fix something when they add Laraway Road to the schedule sometime this summer.

by metraRI

According to Trains Magazine's "New Wire" NCS Train #118 will use MD-N from Grayslake to CUS in order to become Train #119 which leaves CUS at 8:30, interesting move.

by MetraF40C607

Finally, a use for the connector track at the Prarie Crossing.

by doepack

One potential problem about this proposed setup is that before it switches over, NCS 118 will have to wait about 8-10 min. or so at the Grayslake diamond until MDN 2147 clears. By the time 118 arrives at the crossing, 2147 (assuming it's on time under its current schedule) will be heading west on the Fox Lake sub toward its scheduled 7:19 and 7:25 arrivals at Libertyville and Prarie Crossing respectively, which would put it at the Grayslake diamond around 7:27 or so. Of course, delays to either train will result in contingencies, but it'll be interesting to see if Metra adjusts 2147's schedule to accomodate this new situation.

by czyzewc

They could have a train make this move at rush hour as well, adding an express train to the timetable. Namely, an NCS could enter Fox Lake Sub behind 2108, stop at Prairie Crossing (CP side) and Libertyville, then express to CUS. It would overtake 2108 between Deerfield and Morton Grove, crossing over at Deerfield 2-1 behind AMTK and back to 2 at Morton Grove at 7:00am just ahead of 2101. Metra's additional use of CTC crossovers on the C&M Sub could add capacity and speed to this service corridor. Would never be like the Racetrack but could come close!

by doepack

Adding another morning Metra express train to the C&M could really tax the physical plant beyond its current capabilities. Even with the bi-directional CTC setup on this two track railroad with several crossovers, capacity is still at a premium. With Amtrak trains frequently overtaking slower Metra locals, plus CP freight traffic going to/from Bensenville via A20, not to mention periodic cross traffic on the EJE at Rondout, the C&M dispatcher has more than enough to handle. And of course, all bets are off in the event of any delays. Not saying this is necessarily a bad idea, I just don't think it can readily applied to the current reality...