• Passaic River Erie NYGL Bridge

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Lackawanna484

The Haul Road bridge over the Pompton should be there.

I walked that stretch of the old NYGL a few years ago, from Mountain View to Morris Pipe / NJ23 in Wayne, and the track was entirely in back then. Largely overgrown, but in there. That area should be in the vicinity of the old chemical works which used the former lake on the Morris Canal's feeder line. Union Carbide was the most recent owner. Van Ness lumber is just north of the bridge.

I expect to host a walk around in the area of Mountain View (canal, former NYGL and DLW crossing, etc) in the next few weeks, so I'll check it out before then

by Steve F45

Is that close to the njt line too?

by sullivan1985

2005Vdub wrote:Is that close to the njt line too?
Its about 1 mile west of the NJ Transit Boonton Line.

by Idiot Railfan

That trestle is still there. The river is actually the Pompton River. It meets the Passaic River at Two Bridges, where Lincoln Park, Wayne and Fairfield meet.

It's a plate-and-girder structure. However, NYS&W seal it up at both ends with steel plates to prevent people from walking over the severely deteriorated rail bed.

It's accessible from Haul Road on the east end, and Riverside Drive in Pequannock from the west end. Beware, however, that Riverside ends and that last 200 feet to the crossing are privately owned by the local septic tank service guy, and he keeps dozens of behives around his property.

Several sections of the tracks between Wayne and Riverdale have been lifted in the last two years for use elsewhere on the NYS&W.

by MarkRouters

I used to walk across that bridge all the time in the mid 80s to get to a friends house. Even back then the ties in the bridge were detererating. One time I was walking across the bridge on Easter day when the river was flooded. There was a sad looking dog sitting on the middle of the bridge staring at the water and I was afraid to pass him. I had some Easter candy with me so I put one of those marsh mellow chicks on the rail near the dog and quickly walked by. About two hours later my friend and I were walking up Hall Road and we saw several emergency vehicles near the bridge. A woman came up to us and asked us if we knew of any missing children in the neighborhood. We said "no, why?" She said they found a dog on the bridge with a peice of candy near him staring at the water. They thought a kid brought his dog to the bridge, put a piece of candy down for him and fell off the bridge into the water. I told her that I had left the candy there a couple of hours ago to get past the dog. She brought me over to the police on the scene and told them what I said. They asked me what kind of candy it was and I told them. They were relived and they left.