• PRR caboose, Maybrook, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by caboose9

Hi,

Maybrook, NY, uses a PRR cabin car, fake painted as NH C512, for a Tourist Information Center. It has been reported as PRR 477656/PC/CR 22824.

The same PRR cabin car is also reported to be used as a room at the Caboose Motel, Titusville, PA. I've written the previous and current owners of this motel and neither appears to have any knowledge of or interest in the heritage of the 21 cabooses there.

Can anyone confirm the origin of the Maybrook crummy? And/or, of course, the Titusville hack(s)?

Thanks, Roger
  by gawlikfj

One of the Maybrook members said Conrail just pulled out a caboose from their line . He said to me it was a Jersey hack,Meaning a Jersey Central caboose.
  by caboose9

gawlikfj said, "One of the Maybrook members said Conrail just pulled out a caboose from their line. He said it was a Jersey Central caboose."

Hi,

I think it's a Class N5 which I don't think CNJ ever had, but ...?

Anyone know of a photo of this caboose on a web site?

Thanks, Roger

by Marty Feldner

Roger-

We had some correspondence about this one a couple of years back. Here's a shot of it from 2002. While I didn't get inside, I crawled all over underneath it looking for markings or stencils; nothing visible, under a fresh coat of paint.

It looks like an N-5 to me...

by henry6

Looks LVish to me.

by scottychaos

this page:

http://crcaboose.railfan.net/preserved.htm#N-5C

has 2 N5B's listed for Maybrook..
One CR 22834
One PRR 477656?

one apparently went from Maybrook to Ada, Ohio..
or from Ada, Ohio to Maybrook..
it isnt clear which way..or where that particular caboose is right now, Ohio or Maybrook..

Scot
  by henry6

Then it could be NH!

by caboose9

"Last updated: November 10, 1999:
Maybrook, NY, CR 22834, Museum, address?
Maybrook, NY, PRR 477656?, as CR 22824, Class N5b, Museum.
Ada, OH, PRR 477779, ex-CR22834, Class N5b, Depot, Central Ave."

Hi Scot,

Note that the site you cite hasn't been updated for 6 years, making the information potentially suspect. That not withstanding, the 3 citations in a row quoted above nail down the location of PRR 477779/PC/CR 22834 as Ada, Ohio.

The question is, as I noted, whether PRR 477656/PC/CR 22824 is at Maybrook, NY, or Titusville, PA (or neither), and, then, what is the other caboose's number?

Roger

P.S. I supplied the preserved caboose listings on this no longer active site!
  by gawlikfj

Its not a New Haven Caboose.