• MSTS Brake Problem

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by typesix

Service brake doesn't work, tried reassigning key from default, still doesn't work. Only way to stop train is to use emergency brake or let it coast. Anyone else encounter this problem?

by Lirr168

I have never encountered the problem. What locomotive are you having the trouble with? it is quite possible that if this is a downloaded loco someone made a mistake coding the brakes.

by Lirr168

Doing a reset ('z' in the default settings) usually does the trick on the Dash 9.

by AEM7AC920

Lirr168 wrote:Doing a reset ('z' in the default settings) usually does the trick on the Dash 9.
The Z key has nothing to do with the brakes, it is only to reset the alerter.

by AEM7AC920

David Telesha wrote:Sounds like you are having problems with the Dash-9 on Maria's Pass, correct?

If you apply too much and release the brakes won't reapply as well for the next few moments as air builds.

What bothers me is the dynamic brakes do not work in default.
I believe there is a fix for that at train-sim or something, I remeber that problem, if you even move the handle towards the release postion it will release.

by Lirr168

AEM7AC920 wrote: The Z key has nothing to do with the brakes, it is only to reset the alerter.
In theory it has nothing to do with the brakes, but after using the emergency brake on the Dash 9, i have found using the reset to more quickly restore brake pressure. I know it sounds screwy, but experiment with it. Could just be some weird glitch (probably is), but it does work for me.

by AEM7AC920

Lirr168 wrote:
AEM7AC920 wrote: The Z key has nothing to do with the brakes, it is only to reset the alerter.
In theory it has nothing to do with the brakes, but after using the emergency brake on the Dash 9, i have found using the reset to more quickly restore brake pressure. I know it sounds screwy, but experiment with it. Could just be some weird glitch (probably is), but it does work for me.
I wouldn't be suprized with the default Kuju garbage.

by typesix

The service brake doesn't work on any train.

by StationMaster

Just a thought: try checking your controls settings in the Options Menu, have they somehow changed to "Simple Controls"?

by Alcoman

I just had the same brake problem with the GP-40's. Runnaway train...
No brake action.
The other thing I notce is when you start the BN game the brakes realease themselves..strange....

by gerr

You guys might want to go to Train Sim.com with these problems, or Marc's site over at 3d Trains. :-D

by Alcoman

StationMaster wrote:Just a thought: try checking your controls settings in the Options Menu, have they somehow changed to "Simple Controls"?
I unchecked this setting and the brakes works fine now. Problem solved.