Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Tadman

Hey folks, I noticed the other day - the snow makes our already quiet railroad even quieter - I had no idea the train was running at 79 until I checked the speedo in the vestibule. Anyway, be safe when railfanning on CSS tracks, don't let one sneak up on you.
  by jg greenwood

Tadman wrote:Hey folks, I noticed the other day - the snow makes our already quiet railroad even quieter - I had no idea the train was running at 79 until I checked the speedo in the vestibule. Anyway, be safe when railfanning on CSS tracks, don't let one sneak up on you.
You're correct. It's amazing how even a small amount of snow on the rail muffles the sound of cars/equipment. A hump-yard with CWR and a light dusting of snow is one deadly area! Cars on adjacent tracks can sneak up on you, watch your back!

by LCJ

Stay out of that RED ZONE, and you'll be safe!!!

by PRRGuy

Yep, they sure can sneak up on you. After working around them they sometimes still do. I've gotten used to the high-pitched noise the traction motors make, like when the dynamics kick in, but even that gets quieted by the ice and snow.