• curious about tracks on 1st ave in sunset park, brooklyn

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

rb

by rb

Does anyone know if the bottle manufacturer, located close to the BQE, is still taking covered hoppers? The spur breaks off of the NYCRR yard, winds through a few auto body yards, then crosses 2nd ave. Looks like a wild ride.

by BMT

rb, I'll have to look into that next time I go by Bush T. However, for the waterfront/urban railroading fan, nothing beats that rare move for that plastics company at 45th St and 2nd Avee. I was lucky enough to have witnessed this move (had my camera, but wish it was video instead). It was a wacky sight to see the Conductor get off the engine and attempt to tell the auto mechnics (who spoke little or no English) that they had to move their engine blocks, transmissions and errant car parts off of the right-of-way....hilarious to watch these guys scramble as the engine is chugging in idle a few hundred feet away across the street at the Bush Terminal access gate. It is something you will not likely forget. And once things were cleared and the engine proceeded up the street I marveled at how close the rails hugged the building behind the auto shop, then made an abrupt turn toward the middle of the street just before the crossing on 2nd Avenue.

I'll post any info I find on the plastics manufacturer (if they are still there and receiving shipments).

by Knife-Switch

Anyone know the name of the company that receives the plastic?

by rb

BMT, can you post any of those pics? Please?!

by Jayjay1213

It has been a few years since working for the NYCH, but I think the name was Franklin Polymers.

Jason

by BMT

rb....give me alittle time as I have to literally dig them up (they were snapshots as I did not yet have my digital camera). I first have to find them, then make scans so I can post them. I think this goes back three or four years.

by rb

No pressure! By the way, if anyone hears of a move coming up later in the month, please post. I'd love to follow the run while I'm back in NYC for Christmas.

Rob

by rb

No pressure! By the way, if anyone hears of a move coming up later in the month, please post. I'd love to follow the run while I'm back in NYC for Christmas.

Rob

by rb

Rob

by Ricshaw

I was just over there today. The NYCH has a customer located just behind their enginehouse. I took some pics a few years ago of the crew spotting a tank car back there. Don't know if this customer still has rail service. There is also a customer on 2nd ave that receives boxcars. I saw a C&NW boxcar there today. Davidson Pipe Co also unloads flatcars in their yard. I have quite a few pics of the NYCH. I'll post them someday if I can get my scanner working!