• Films of John Boardman

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by kwf

Has anybody seen these videos? They're pretty good, especially if you like the B&M. I got them on dvd thru that bedford depot website.

by NellsChoo

They are VERY good. Great quality even without sound. I particularly like the footage fron the Fitchburg line and in Belmont... places I can recognize! I only wish each volume was longer...

by kwf

There is alot of Belmont footage. Did he live in Belmont? Did you see the Vol 3? It has some good footage of the Alewife area before/during(early) the Redline construction. There are a few scenes that they should've let run longer though...

by NellsChoo

I noticed he never showed the actual Belmont Center station building in his footage. Seems odd. And yes, some clips are too short!!

JD

by kwf

The Belmont Center Depot is hiding behind the overgrown brush in some of the shots. The depot was bricked up at some point, as pictures show that you could wait under the roof, which you can't now, except for the stairs. The bricked in area is used as storage by the Lions Club now...The ticket office is still there, but I didn't get to check it out too closely when I was in there. It's available for rent though, for small functions. There is a small kitchen, too.
That little "depot" across the street has FRR artifacts in it that you can see if you press your nose to the window :-) . We should arrange to see whats in there sometime....

http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/massach ... llhill.jpg

by kwf

This pic shows one side of the Depot before it was bricked up...
Note the trolley tracks in the street (bottom right)...

http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/massach ... ontbw2.jpg

by NellsChoo

It is hard to look at the building when trying to navigate that section! I'd like to go inside. I've lived in Belmont my whole life, and yet have seen very little history.

JD

by kwf

If you go up onto the porch to the door, there are a couple of contact numbers posted there (or at least there used to be). There is a plaque on the outside with historical info. I lived in Belmont until 2002, also. :wink:
We moved after we got married, because my apt was too small, and It was too expen$ive for us at the time to buy there, but that is off topic, sorry....
  by kwf

[quote="kwf"]The Belmont Center Depot is hiding behind the overgrown brush in some of the shots. The depot was bricked up at some point, as pictures show that you could wait under the roof, which you can't now, except for the stairs. The bricked in area is used as storage by the Lions Club now...The ticket office is still there, but I didn't get to check it out too closely when I was in there. It's available for rent though, for small functions. There is a small kitchen, too.

It's xmas time again, and they are selling trees at the depot...we should go over and see if it's possible to go inside and take some pics...