• NS Changing Hiring Practices...

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by bwparker1

Just noticed that NS is changing the way they higher for craft positions, in the very near future, all employment applications will have to be submitted electronically, and they are doing away with the traditional hiring sessions.

They will be holding a few more hiring sessions before they fully implement the online system, so if you have ever desired to check out an NS hiring session, you had better hurry....

http://www.nscorp.com/nscorp/applicatio ... cruit.html

Brooks
  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

LOL----

Yea I think them N.S boys and girls are going to have to start paying to go to Choo Choo university also! It is in the process right now of being finnalized in Atlanta.

Get out the check book.

Nashvillie Newbie

by BR&P

How things have changed! 40 years ago you'd walk into the local yard office, and if the guy in charge - Trainmaster, Chief Clerk, whatever - liked your looks he'd send you for a physical. If you passed, you were hired.

I've read stories of 100 years ago when a boomer brakeman would walk into a yard office and be told "You're hired - need you for Extra 207, the engine is on the ready track - get down there" or something to that effect.
  by wolfe

So far, in Illinois, BN is taking applications online followed up with a hiring session. I put my app. in a few months ago and finally got an email to show up 12/01/05. All after I was accepted to AMDG for CSX school. Will that give me any leverage with BN? Woluld BN be better than CSX? Atleast BN pays you while your training!

Thanks!

by route_rock

BN might hire you from another school but I doubt it. We have too much invested in NARS. Go to the hiring session and try to get on with us.If you want CSX well go to the school. Like you say BNSF pays you while training. Pretty good too I might add.
  by wolfe

Thanks route-rock. I meant Norfolk -Southern, not BN. I have not seen to much on NS as far as good or bad. Any thoughts?