• tunnel under palisades

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by exnewyorker

Are there still tracks in the tunnel between Ridgefield and Edgewater?

by Steve F45

Here is a really cool link to some old NYS&W pics in edgewater. It looks nothing like this anymore

http://www.thebluecomet.com/nysw.html

by Lackawanna484

I think I read that the rails came out of the Edgewater tunnel when the pipes and fiber optic lines went in. I haven't actually verified that, though.

Hess oil, the water authority, and one or more phone companies have pipes in the (secured) tunnel.

by Steve F45

there's a secured tunnel ontop of the edgewater tunnel? or is it 1 in the same.

by Lackawanna484

2005Vdub wrote:there's a secured tunnel ontop of the edgewater tunnel? or is it 1 in the same.
Just one tunnel.

I thought it was fenced off and locked, and full of snakes, etc

by Steve F45

Well not sure about the ridgefield side, but the edgewater side last i saw was wide open.
  by exnewyorker

Neat pics of tunnel portal and Edgewater operation. Does any one know if there was ever a track connection between Susie Q and Public Service near the Egdewater-125 St. ferry? It would have been a tough climb to the top with even one box car,i think. In 1991 you could still walk the row of the PSNJ Hudson River line on both sides of Bergen Hill.

by Steve F45

Not sure if you've been down there recently. Ever since 1997 it has just boomed with comercial and residential buildings. I dont think there are any tracks left anywhere. Well actually, in the older section off of river rd, there is an old building that had trackage run thru it but i doubt anything is left.