Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by NJTRailfan

I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.

But how many cars long is the Paris Metro, LA's Red Line Subway and the DC Metro. Somone told me that DC and LA are usually 6-8 cars long max. I thought they were 10-12 cars long like NYC. I know Boston is around 8-10 cars. But also what about Itlay's Subway along with the Japaneese Subway?

I think Chicago durign rush hour it's 6 or 8 cars long but during slower times of the day it's only 4 maybe even 2.

During the day after the Bombings of the London's Tube the NY Times reoprted that the subways there are sually 6-8 cars long. I thought they were longer then that.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Boston Red Line is 4 during non rush hour and 6 during rush hour and sometimes non rush hour too. Blue Line is 4 at all times of the day. Orange Line is 6 at all times of the day. All train lengths are even because cars operate in married pairs. Before 1987 4 was the maximum on the Orange line.

In Italy the maximum on the M1 is 6. Not sure about the other lines.

by arrow

I believe Washington, DC has 6 car trains.

And don't forget that some of the trains on NYCTA use the 75' cars so they have less cars on the train.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

The IRT lines except for the #7 which runs with 11 cars, have 10 car length trains.
  by Frank

NJTRailfan wrote:I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.
A B division NY Subway is usually 10 60ft cars long and 8 75Ft cars long except the trains on the J, M, Z and C trains which are 8 60ft cars long. A train on the A division is usually 10 51ft cars long. The Flushing line is unique with 11 51ft cars long. The Rockaway Park shuttle is 4 75ft cars long. The Franklin Ave. Shuttle is 2 75ft cars long, while two of the three 42nd St. shuttle trains are 3 51ft cars long, except for one of them which is 4 51ft cars long.
  by Mdlbigcat

At SEPTA:
Broad St Line trains are 5 cars on the Local and Express, 2 cars on the Ridge Spur.

Market-Frankford Line trains are usually 6 cars at all times, but on some winter weekends you may see 4 car trains.

PATCO [Lindenwold Line]:
All rush hour trains are 6 cars. All off peak trains are 2 cars.
Trains will go to 4 or 6 cars depending on special events on weekends.

by chuchubob

PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.

by orangeline

In Chicago the Yellow Line (Skokie Swift) is 2 cars at all times. On weekdays, the Purple line (Evanston), Brown line (Ravenswood) and both Green line branches (East 63rd and 63rd/Ashland, both returning to Lake/Harlem) are 6 cars long during rush hours and all run 4 cars (except Brown) between rush hours, the Orange line (Midway) is 8 cars during rush hours and 4 cars other times and the Blue (Forest Park and Cermak branches, returning to O'Hare) and Red (Howard - 95th) lines are 8 cars at all times. On weekends and during early AM/late PM, train lengths are either 2, 4, or 6 cars depending on line. Sometimes the Red line runs 8 cars on weekends during baseball season as it serves both Comiskey Park on the South side (US Cellular? BAH!) and Wrigley Field on the North side of the city.
  by F40

Frank wrote:
NJTRailfan wrote:I know that the NYC subway has the usual 8 cars with the exception of the 7 line (During the Red bird days it was 11 or 12 cars long) and the S which is 3 or 4 cars long.
A B division NY Subway is usually 10 60ft cars long and 8 75Ft cars long except the trains on the J, M, Z and C trains which are 8 60ft cars long. A train on the A division is usually 10 51ft cars long. The Flushing line is unique with 11 51ft cars long. The Rockaway Park shuttle is 4 75ft cars long. The Franklin Ave. Shuttle is 2 75ft cars long, while two of the three 42nd St. shuttle trains are 3 51ft cars long, except for one of them which is 4 51ft cars long.
Also, keep in mind that the G train runs 4 R46 (75') cars.

by Carmine

If were on the subject of subway lengths, here are the numbers at Montreal. Orange and Green Line are always 9 cars. Yellow Line is 6. And the Blue line is 3 cars off-peak, and 6 cars during rush hour.

Each car is about 54 feet in length.
Last edited by Carmine on Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Robert Paniagua

And in Toronto's Toronto Transit Commission subways, they run 6-car trains 75 feet long, except for the Scarborough SRT, which runs 4 cars at 40 feet in length.

by (5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp

chuchubob wrote:PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.
PATCO Uses 4 cars just after the main rush hour, then when rush hour is completly over they switch to 2 cars. And on weekends its 2 cars all times. And this info is from a t/o i know that works on PATCO.

by Mdlbigcat

(5) Bronx-Lex Av Exp wrote:
chuchubob wrote:PATCO also runs some four car trains during the transition between peak and off-peak.
PATCO Uses 4 cars just after the main rush hour, then when rush hour is completly over they switch to 2 cars. And on weekends its 2 cars all times. And this info is from a t/o i know that works on PATCO.
For the last several weekends, PATCO has been running 4 car trains on Saturdays, but 2 car trains on Sundays.

Expect the trains to be 4 cars on Saturdays during the Christmas shopping season.

Tommorrow the trains will be six cars to accomondate the passengers going to the parade. In the afternoon, it'll go down to 2 cars.
The next time you'll see a 6 car train on weekends will be on New Year's day [Mummers Parade].

I haven't seen 6 cars outside of rush hours since Live8 in July.