• VRE Orders New Cab Cars

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by metraRI

Trains Magazine has reported that VRE has awarded Sumitomo Corp. of America with a contract for 11 new gallery cab cars similar to the ones currently being delivered to Metra.

Here is a shot of a new Metra cab car.

More information on the cars from VRE can be seen at:
http://www.vre.org/service/commuterweekly/may18.pdf

by starionwolf

Woah, cool cabs. It's a big two story car. Thanks for sharing the photo.

by VRELackie

I'm an employee of the consulting firm VRE is using for the new car procurement of these cabs.

The first frames are already laid and delivery of the first cars should be within 18 months.

I'll post pics if you guys want ... we have employees going over to the assembly plants

also just PM me or whatever if you want any other VRE pics
  by VRELackie

metraRI wrote:Trains Magazine has reported that VRE has awarded Sumitomo Corp. of America with a contract for 11 new gallery cab cars similar to the ones currently being delivered to Metra.

Here is a shot of a new Metra cab car.

More information on the cars from VRE can be seen at:
http://www.vre.org/service/commuterweekly/may18.pdf

the VRE cabs should look exactly like that but with the VRE signature diamond logo, and 2 red/white/red/white/blue "flags" on either end in the deadlights like the old mafersa cabs

the retroreflective striping on the ends will also be orange and black instead of the metra white and red

by Scotty Burkhardt

Please post any pics you have. Where are they being built at?

by VRELackie

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:Please post any pics you have. Where are they being built at?
carbody is built at the Sumitomo/Nippon Sharyo plant in Japan. Coachwork and final assembly is in milwaukee

i'll take photo's as soon as they start to arrive

by Scotty Burkhardt

Of the 11 coaches they ordered, how many are going to be cabs and how many are going to be coaches. It seems like 11 cabs would cost significantly more than say.... 4 cabs 7 coaches.

What is the price differance between a cab as to just a coach?

by VRELackie

Scotty Burkhardt wrote:Of the 11 coaches they ordered, how many are going to be cabs and how many are going to be coaches. It seems like 11 cabs would cost significantly more than say.... 4 cabs 7 coaches.

What is the price differance between a cab as to just a coach?

all 11 cars in the initial order are cab cars

right now all of our gallery consist have either a mafersa single level cab car or a bastardized kawasaki (MARC STYLE) cab car on them.

The initial order of 11 Nippon Sharyo Galleries will be to complete our full house of galleries

there is a contract option for 50 gallery coaches that VRE is trying to get the money for as we speak.

i don't have figures as to how much the regular trailers would cost so i couldn't even tell you what the cost difference is ... i do believe that the cost for 11 cab cars is something like 8.9million or something like that