• LV Pushers in WNY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

by nydepot

How common was the use of pushers on the LV west of Manchester? I know there was a grade out of P&L and if salt traffic was high, I would expect a pusher. I've seen a few instances of pushers but wondered how common it really was.

Charlres

by FarmallBob

Charles –

As a frequent and regular observer of LV activity between Wadsworth and Caledonia from about 1960 thru the end of operations in ‘76, I never once saw a train operating with a pusher. And on the infrequent occasions I ventured west of P&L toward Leroy I never spotted a pusher - nor light engines returning eastbound.

So from my limited perspective it appears the use of pushers was not very common on this piece of the LV. …FB

by nydepot

Thanks, Bob.

Pushers came out of Buffalo and pushed back to Buffalo. I do have a few cases of pushers but not many. Obviously from your statements, it was not common at all.

Charles
  by TB Diamond

My observations of the LVRR Buffalo/NF-P&L Jct. 1969-76 duplicate those of FB. No doubt account expense involved, pushers were a very rare item on the extreme west end of the LVRR. Anyone have info on this from the steam era?