Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Hasn't this line suffered enough?

Another mishap added to Metra's list of problems
Rider injures arm when train leaves earlier than planned

By Virginia Groark
Tribune staff reporter
Published October 13, 2005

Metra is investigating why an engineer pulled out of the LaSalle Street station 11 minutes early Sept. 30 with the train doors open, injuring a passenger who was trying to board the Rock Island line train, an agency spokeswoman said.

Separately, the three engineers who were involved in the 2004 River Grove accident that killed a 10-year-old Schaumburg boy have told Metra they want to come back to work and are scheduled to meet with agency officials Thursday, a Metra spokeswoman said.

In the Rock Island line incident, Train No. 525 began leaving the station at 7:29 p.m. after a button was pushed that tells the engineer it is time to depart, Metra spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet said. The train was scheduled to leave at 7:40 p.m.

Pardonnet said she does not know who pushed the button, located in the train car's doorways. Normally, it's the conductor's job, she said.

The train moved seven car lengths but stopped when the conductor told the engineer that the train was not secure, Pardonnet said. The doors were closed and the train backed up to the platform, she added.

A man who was boarding the train injured his arm and was taken to the hospital, Pardonnet said. Metra would not identify him, and Pardonnet said his injury was not life-threatening.

The engineer, who also was not identified, has worked for Metra for more than five years. He continues to work on the line and finished the run Sept. 30 under the supervision of the Rock Island superintendent, she added.

The incident is the latest in a series of problems that have occurred in recent weeks on the Rock Island line. A train derailed Sept. 17, killing two people and an engineer was suspended after the train he was driving sped through a 20 m.p.h. zone on Sept. 29.

Meanwhile, the three engineers who were involved in the River Grove accident on the Milwaukee District West line have told Metra they want their jobs back, Pardonnet said.

In August, federal arbitrators ordered Metra to reinstate engineers Donald Little, Brian Voss and Ernesto Gavina Jr. because they did not receive a fair disciplinary hearing before they were fired in April 2004 for safety violations.

The men will have to be retrained before they will be allowed to operate a train. They also are entitled to backpay minus any earnings they received in the last 18 months, Pardonnet said.

An attorney for the family of Michael DeLarco, killed in the River Grove accident, could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

----------

[email protected]

Copyright © 2005, Chicago Tribune

by JLJ061

Very unusual. I have never heard of a train departing before its scheduled time.

Is the engineer a veteran of this particular train, or was he breaking in? Didn't he find it unusual to get the signal to depart before the scheduled time?

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought all commuter trains had indicator lights in the cab, showing when doors are opened/closed?

by Amtrak31

doepack, thanks for sharing this. It's good that there are no life threatening injuries.

by Metra kid

Wouldn't the engineer check the time on when it's time to leave as well from the origin station? Just makes sense, as I would be looking at the clock.

by doepack

JLJ061 wrote:Very unusual. I have never heard of a train departing before its scheduled time.

Is the engineer a veteran of this particular train, or was he breaking in? Didn't he find it unusual to get the signal to depart before the scheduled time?

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought all commuter trains had indicator lights in the cab, showing when doors are opened/closed?
True, all locomotives and cab cars are equipped with door light indicators, but trains can and do move with the doors open, which can occasionally be seen during deadhead equipment moves between the yard and terminal. For obvious reasons, however, this practice is strictly forbidden during revenue service. I'm not certain about the engineer's level of experience on this route, but in this case, it sounds like the button was pushed accidentally, and the engineer didn't bother to check the time...

by AMTK84

For some reason I think only UP and BNSF cab cars are the only cars fitted with door lights; I base this on the fact that all MILW trains have to wait until the conductor presses the button before moving; Not sure about RI though.

by Tommy Meehan

I'm surprised the engineer was able to move the train with the doors open too. On a lot of commuter equipment it's impossible. On NY's Metro-North the door switch is wired either of two ways. On MU cars it's connected to the traction motors and on diesel push-pull trains it's connected to the throttle. On MUs the traction motors are disconnected while doors are open, on diesels or cab cars the throttle is locked. Both NJ Transit and LIRR have similar type equipment.

Were these older cars? Does any of Metra's fleet have door interlocks?

by MikeF

The Electric District fleet is equipped with door interlocks; none of the push-pull equipment is. All Metra equipment has door indicator lights. On all lines, the engineer must wait for the conductor or brakeman's highball (either by hand signal or the signal buzzer) before moving the train.

South Shore Line equipment has door interlocks, but there are several ways to automatically override that feature in normal operation.