• Springfield Terminal - Dead Engine Line Visit

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Ejen34

Today I paid a visit to the Springfield Terminal at Waterville for the purpose of snapping a few shots of the switchers. Found ST 15 and 51 at the usual spots. No one was around or rather no one paid attention to me and I managed to wander over to the Dead Unit Line to snap a few shots. I found the following units there: MEC 513, ST 204, MEC 312, ST 204, MEC 302, ST 206, MEC 303, and MEC 344. A moment of silence! I was very quick to get out of there...

by MEC407

Nice shots on NERAIL photo archive!

Yes

by thebigham

Yes, thank you for those great shots!

The new Railpace mentions that GRS has decided to rebuild 15 out of the 20 out-of-service locos that they have.

Chris

by dnelson

Hopefully they will rebuild GP38 252 (or has it already been scrapped?). They have already rebuilt some 200s and some 300s that are now back in service.

by MEC407

I would love to see them rebuild the 252, although it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't -- after all, they decided to rid themselves of all the other GP38s, and they hate to have "oddball" units.

by rb

I stayed in Waterville for 3 nights this week and didn't see any public access points to the yard. So I only took pictures from the public street outside. All the entrances are marked private property. Is there a way to view the deadline without trespassing?

Rob

by Ejen34

rb wrote:I stayed in Waterville for 3 nights this week and didn't see any public access points to the yard. So I only took pictures from the public street outside. All the entrances are marked private property. Is there a way to view the deadline without trespassing?

Rob
No, not without permission unless you hire a helicopter. I was down there Thursday, 10.06 and after shooting numerous pix'es from the parking lot of the switchers and rolling stock I quietly ventured down to the deadline in an unauthorized fashion. Not recommending this tho. I did run into 4 employees at various times and when one runs into an employee it generally is the "you did not see me" type of encounter, at least mine has been that way. This of course in no way is condoned by this forum or any member thereof, just an observation you understand.

Ejen