Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by Bucyrus6150

Yesterday on the St. Lawrence & Hudson tracks I saw two CP GP40s and on the end a D&H GP38 or SD45, no train just the three engines. I didnt think there were any in D&H colors still in use. Does anybody know of any others and what roads use them?

by metman499

There are three still running on CP in D&H paint, all 38-2s from the Valley. The Tioga Central has the Bicentennial RS-3 rebuild (basically in its D&H 1976 paint) that runs from Wellsville north. Its nice to see it in action, esp. for such a rare loco. There is an RS-36 on a tourist line in NY and the DL has 2 D&H inspired black RS-3s, one of which is currently running.
  by Matt Langworthy

Actually, two tourist lines in upstate NY operate ex-D&H RS-36s in full lightning stripe livery. The Upper Hudson RR rosters #5016, while the Delaware & Ulster RR has #5017. FWIW, the Upper Hudson RR operates on an ex-D&H branchline.

by Champlain Division

If I'm not mistaken, those two D-L RS-3s ARE ex-D&H units!

by metman499

Yes, they are. Same numbers when the were on the D&H. One has been down for a while now due to an engine overspeed though.
  by b&m617

FYI- the Upper Hudson River rr's leased RS-36 is the 5019; know it all too well!!!

Work safe
Derail :P
  by Matt Langworthy

Thanx for the correction! Buffalo Southern also uses RS-11 #5010 in regular service- the same #, though different colors, from her D&H days. BTW, I believe BSOR just scrapped their ex-D&H S-2... :(

by EMT49

i just got a pic of a D@H gp38-2 in july going over the nolan road crossing in Hillcrest NY .

by nessman

4108 and 4113 are on the Delaware-Lackawanna in Scranton... different paint though.
  by H.F.Malone

Nessman:

GREAT pic!!! And a perfect quote, too!!! Very funny; I almost wet myself!!
  by BSOR Patarak

Actually, the BSOR did NOT scrap their D&H S2.

Here a photo of ex D&H #3004 (SB #100, BSOR #100) pullng a train on Sept 16, 2005.

So this D&H unit is alive and well. The BSOR also has an ex D&H Spreader #35053.

Perhaps the D&H S2 that got scrapped is #3010 (To SB #103) that belongs to Winters Railroad Service and was stored at North Collins. The locomotive was partially cut up and moved off of active tracks, but has not been completely cut up as of yet.

The South Buffalo also had #3007 (SB #101) and #3009 (SB #102). The later went to CitiSteel in Claymont, DE and was reported in service as late as 2003. The 3007 was rebuilt into a slug. Not sure it survived.

How about the Buffalo Creek....didn't they receive a couple of D&H S2s?

Pat Connors
BSOR
Last edited by BSOR Patarak on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Legio X

The Arkansas & Missouri has former D&H Alco C420's in everyday service. See the A&M thread on the Alco Forum for further information.
  by Matt Langworthy

Oh yeah! I forgot about the C-420s. In a similar vein, two ex-D&H C-424ms operate on the LAL mainline, with another pair active on B&H. Minnesota Commerical also has a pair of ex-D&H C-424ms, but I don't think they see active service anymore.

by scottychaos

Just for the record, the Bicentennial RS3 runs out of Wellsboro, PA.
not Wellsville.

8 of the original 12 LV/D&H C420's are still running.

405 is with the DL in Scranton.

408 was with the Adirondack RR, is now at the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum, in Knoxville, Tennessee.

414 is in Winslow, NJ, restored to het LV yellowjacket colors.

all with the Arkansas & Missouri

have been scrapped.

D&H Alco C628 610 is at a museum in Mexico.
(the only surviving D&H C628)

2 of the Alco PAs are at museums in Mexico.
the other two are in Oregon.

10 of the 12 LV/D&H GP38-2's are still running with CP.

the 2 sharks still exist.

here is a complete list:

http://www.joshuakblay.com/dhsurvivors.html

Scot