Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mainline

C1's are in storage on the Naugatuck Railroad.
  by Clemuel

There seems to be some confusion about federal regulations and their impact on what equipment is necessary for passenger car operation.

As far as the FRA, or any other regulatory body for that matter, is concerned, the LIRR can use any motive power it wants to pull its passenger cars. The LI 1500 engines can pull C-3's just as M-1's can pull C-3's if the Railroad chose to do that.

Of course, door lights, intercoms, and buzzers would not work. There is no regulation that requires these. While the Railroad frowns on the use of radios for this type of communications, hand signs are actually considered a superior device for passing information through a consist. Many of the better crews use handsigns almost exclusively, because buzzers can fail and provide wrong indications.

Since the LIRR has rules governing how a train would be operated without a door-closed indicating light, the FRA may require that the crew follow those rules, where it can, but a 1500 can easily operate in regular service with C-3 equipment.

No reason why it cannot. It has, it does, at times, and it shall continue to when needed.

Just to set the record straight, while I perhaps posess some specific knowlege, it is about mostly insignificant things, and my limited wisdom serves only to remind me of my foolishness in times past..

Clem
  by Lirr168

Clemuel wrote: Just to set the record straight, while I perhaps posess some specific knowlege, it is about mostly insignificant things, and my limited wisdom serves only to remind me of my foolishness in times past..

Clem
A walking encyclopedia of railroad knowledge and a philosopher! Is there anything this guy can't do?

by emfinite

Ahhh, the great Clemuel has answered our calling! Thank you sir for your great insight into this matter.

Joe

by Clemuel

Just to add a little insight into FRA rules -- one of the little things I know quite a bit about --

Most of the FRA's rules date from an era when Federal powers were extremely limited, so they do not encompass much detail. For example, there are virtually no FRA rules regarding yard movements, yard track condition, etc.

Now, these days, as Society has leaned more and more toward the "Nanny-State" view of the Fed, when an incident occurrs and the FRA becomes involved, they publish and enact pages and pages of regulation that almost shuts us down.

If you doubt this, just ask youself how, in this day and age, the Federal Government's CFR permits a guy to recap tires in his basement, sell them to others to put on their cars and drive 65 MPH with them on the highway...

There was a time when the Fed's just couldn't get away with the meddling they raught these days on business.

How do you think this country became so great??

By the way men, thanks for the all to kind words.

Clem

by Legio X

Has either 162 or 169 been taken off the scrapline? I thought I noticed only one MP-15ac on the scrapline when I passed by on Atlantic Ave. yesterday. If one of them has been removed, what's in store for it?

by emfinite

They are taking the traction motors out of one of them to put in the 150. The 150 has 4 bad traction motors and is in need of the ones from the scrap line.

Joe

by Legio X

So that should be the end of either 162 or 169? Cannibalizing the traction motors for use in 150 negates any possibility of the "victim" ever being returned to service.