• OC accident in Columbus

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by bambulance_dave

I work in Columbus and frequent I670. Last month or so (maybe earlier) while traveling westbound on I670, I had just passed under the NS tracks and then gone over the OC tracks there at Lenard Ave. I looked to the OC tracks running parallel on the North side of the freeway and noticed a freight car (some type of hopper) lying on it's side. On my next pass by, I slowed for a better look and noticed that the east-faceing end had heavy damage, showing that it had either been hit by something or had hit something. Then about a week or so later, it was gone. Did anyone else see this? Or have any info?
  by midland sub

The Ohio Central East Columbus job was switching cars there with crews on both ends of the cut of cars. Long story short the crew on the end where the car derailed I believe shoved a bit to hard and the covered hopper took the brunt of the collison. The conductor ended up breaking his leg in the accident. Power was one of the OC's remaining GP40s and their SD18.

Mark
bambulance_dave wrote:I work in Columbus and frequent I670. Last month or so (maybe earlier) while traveling westbound on I670, I had just passed under the NS tracks and then gone over the OC tracks there at Lenard Ave. I looked to the OC tracks running parallel on the North side of the freeway and noticed a freight car (some type of hopper) lying on it's side. On my next pass by, I slowed for a better look and noticed that the east-faceing end had heavy damage, showing that it had either been hit by something or had hit something. Then about a week or so later, it was gone. Did anyone else see this? Or have any info?

by bambulance_dave

Wow. Thanks for the info.

by catfoodflambe

Is there a problem with the track structure in the area? This would be the third derailment along this mile-long stretch of ROW in the last three years - that I know of.

by midland sub

I don't know if it's as much the track structure as it might be more the track layout in the area. After the St. Clair Ave(?) overpass the track goes downhill and curves to the southeast to fit underneath the I-670 overpass. I'm guessing that's a good deal of the problem. The track seems to be in excellent shape, it was built around '92/93 during the I-670 construction. Plus the Ohio Central crews have been using these tracks since they leased the Panhandle line from the State with their Columbus & Ohio River.

I just downloaded Google's Earth program. It has satellite photos of the Columbus area from I believe 2003. You can still see the foundation of the PRR roundhouse just north of the tracks described above. Interesting stuff. Too bad there aren't photo's of the entire state.

Mark
catfoodflambe wrote:Is there a problem with the track structure in the area? This would be the third derailment along this mile-long stretch of ROW in the last three years - that I know of.