• Pan Am Worcester Main Line

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by F74265A

You are right
That’s way faster
These rumors of 40 mas sterling ti harvard remain unverified
  by neman2

A video from Northeast Railway on You Tube--he finds trees blocking the tracks, calls CSX, and proceeds to cut up the tree! CSX needs to hire this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YijPxZHERI

I can sympathize with him on starting 2 stroke engines.
  by jaymac

Kids and adults, please don't do this at home or anywhere else!

As much as I've liked his videos and admire his instincts, his lack of PPE is as troubling as his fouling the line. A simple call to Jvlle would have gotten both the pros involved and movement protection put in place.

2-stroke? Even Stihl's gone cordless.
  by newpylong

Agreed re: fouling the tracks.

I am a big advocate of my electric saws but for something of that size (8-10" diameter) my Husqvarna is coming out and it will be gone in 30 seconds.
  by eustis22

Just say no to Ryobi POS.

Stihl or Husqvarna to clear track.
  by rustyrails

I have a 50 year old Poulan that will still run circles around today's saws, but it's pretty heavy tho.......
  by F74265A

Northeast railway has video today of 40 mph eastbound through south lancaster
Can’t post the video now but easy to find if you watch any of his videos posted above

Far far cry from the 10mph rocking and rolling days on the worcester main
  by ST377

Can confirm - Worcester Sub is now 40 from just west of the detector at South Meadow Rd in Clinton up through Lancaster. It's damn impressive
  by F74265A

With the speed increase, the worcester mainline is ready to add the ns IM train as single stacks
No idea how the clearance work is proceeding or has even started
  by NHV 669

9 miles of 40mph MAS doesn't make it any more ready than it already was lol... I can't imagine the speeds on PAS are much different today than they are on the 2015 TT I have, which shows roughly 73 of the 155 miles between Ayer and Mechanicville as being 25.

The B&A rerouting as a whole is already far faster for NS/PAS/B&E's sake than the existing route, adding <10 miles of increased speed will be a lost thought once clearances allow DS moves.
  by newpylong

Agreed, going from 25 to 40 for that few miles makes little to no difference about being ready for another train or not. When they're only running one train pair there is a lot of hours in the day to get another pair over the line. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clinton siding rebuilt and extended with spring switches at some point though. That's a good distance without being able to make a meet, especially with CP45 being constrained on one end and not controlling any of the trackage at the other end until Willows East.

NS was/is still working on the Albany Main last I knew.
  by F74265A

So what is the operational advantage of 12 miles of 40mph that justifies the incremental cost of maintaining class 3 track?
  by newpylong

A step towards moving the entire Sub to 40 MPH and getting a better return on the increased maintenance.
  by mrj1981

To add to the above - I've noticed a certain sense of urgency that CSX brings to the matter of moving freight. That may express itself in mainlines being brought from 10 or 25 to 40... Or it may manifest in the distinct drop in the number of trains outlawing here and there and sitting for days at a time. (Am I incorrect in thinking that outlawing trains, which was such a feature of the Mellon days, is pretty much gone on the former PAR properties today? Probably also true on PAS, with B&E in charge now too?) SUCH a different approach to railroading than Mellon and team!