Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by PRRGuy

From what I was told this particular signal was from a Marshall Siding in gary. It was a siding located between both mains somewhere near the current Clark Rd/Airport stop. Any photos showing this signal would be appreciated. oh, btw...what do ya think?

by JLJ061

Very cool! And most likely it did come from Marshall Siding, since it was taken out of service earlier this year.

Those type of signals are used on sidings with hydraulic spring switches from the main. If the main is clear a yellow (restricting) aspect is displayed. Otherwise the red (stop) is shown.

The other pot signal I have seen the SouthShore use (and nobody else that I know of) is for siding with rigid switches. It is a three-aspect signal with yellow on top and red in the middle. The lower aspect will show an "S" when the main is clear. Otherwise that aspect will be dark.

by PRRGuy

Now that i think of it, there's a pot signal on the east gary add track that looks kinda similiar to this one, except it's got a base..not from a post.

by JLJ061

That's it exactly, since the add track runs through a spring switch. :)