• Remaining CTC-1B Single Level Cab Cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTAVideoClips

We're in the endgame now. Only four CTC-1B (enabled cab) cars are left. The remaining list is as follows:
1632 (Currently heading to North Station, at Chelsea)
1636 (Currently heading to North Station, at Concord)
1643 (Currently heading to Rockport, at Chelsea)
1647 (Currently heading to Reading, at Melrose Highlands)

This is kinda like last summer, when we had only a handful of CTC-3s left. I'm glad I got to see both the -3s and -1Bs before they leave forever, but I know everyone will miss them. Go see them while you can!!!
  by MBTAVideoClips

1630 just rose from the dead. Guess it was just waiting for a new set, or getting inspections done.
  by CRail

Just because a car is removed from a set does not mean it's retired, or "dead". Passing speculation off as fact is prohibited.
  by Commuterrail1050

Technically, none of the 1600’s are retired or dead at the moment, except for 1648 which has been scrapped for a while now. The 1600’s are stored operable since they aren’t needed as a result of surplus double decker control coaches. That is my observation and not as a fact. Just wanted to clear up what I said.
  by MBTAVideoClips

I think his point was that 1643 may not be stored like the other ones are, but just awaiting a new set. That was probably 1630’s explanation of coming “back from the dead” too.
  by Commuterrail1050

I believe Crail was referring to your comment as 1630 rose from the dead, which it wasn’t in the first place. I was saying that 1643 could be stored, I never said that it was stored. There’s a whole difference between speculating your opinion vs stating a fact. Everything I said up to this point is my opinion or observation. Speaking of observation, unless they are in for inspection or other maintenance purposes, 1638 and 1643 could be next to be stored. They also could be put back on another set. Who knows at this point since I don’t work there. There’s only one way to find out if that happens or not and wait for the roster to be updated. The last ones I remember seeing before they were stored are 1637 , 1640, and 1651.
  by MBTAVideoClips

For all you wanting to get 1 last catch of the 1Bs, 1630, 1632, 1636 and 1647 are all stuck on the Newburyport/Rockport Line during the Swampscott-North Station diversion this week.
  by MBTAVideoClips

Not sure if they are retired yet, but 1630, 32 and 47 haven't run in a few days. Anyone want to take some guesses if any of those are for the deadline?
  by GP40MC1118

The 1626 & 1646 were taken directly to Schnitzer Steel in Everett by the work train this morning. And so it begins.
There are 24 1600's in storage. Don't know how many will meet their end in Everett!
  by Commuterrail1050

Technically, those aren’t retired yet when the time comes to store them. 1647 is still on an active set. The only ones that looks to be getting retired are 1626 and 1646 which has been in storage for a while now.