• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

BIG PROBLEM.

JB2 will be tying down at Monmouth Battlefield. I'm not sure how but the bridge there has shifted to one side and the rails on top moved with it. Looks like the top concrete blocks the bridge sits on have moved slightly as well. Bottom of the bridge is severely dented and one side of the bridge looks like it was hit by something.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

by CharlieL

As far as clearing Lakewood - Lakehurst, brush removal was in the grant, towards the aim of re-connecting Clayton's track to the Southern. I suspect due to the amount of trees growing through the track, more than brush clearing will be needed to make the track servicable. Perhaps they will pick up enough customers to make it worthwhile, or perhaps there is another grant application in progress. We should know more about that in the March - April time frame.
As to the bridge over Wemrock Road, I did not notice any signs on the steel of a hit, might have missed something. The top row of blocks on the east end of the abutment do appear to have been shifted.
  by CharlieL

Ouch, indeed. They may start routing thru Red Bank sooner than expected, guess it depends what turns up during the bridge inspection.
  by OportRailfan

Bracdude181 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:06 pm Bridge damage. Ouch!Image

That's an expensive repair to re-seat/re-align the bridge
  by Bracdude181

If it's even salvageable. I have pictures from a friend showing the underside. Will post after I get home.

by Bracdude181

Hoooo boy, it's been an interesting (and pretty wacky) day for Central Jersey trains.

First up, what's left of the main building at Dinaso Lumber. Had a chat with the firefighters about the homeless lighting fires in there. They thanked me as that was something they weren't aware of. Last picture is where I think they laid hoses across the tracks.ImageImageImageImage

by Bracdude181

Next up, the bridge at the Battlefield. Unfortunately i forgot to take pictures of the underside, but here's the damage on one side. Notice the top concrete blocks are no longer flush with the rest.

Strangely though, some of this damage was already here previously. Did this bridge shift when the train went over this morning?ImageImageImage

Edit: JB2 was still sitting just before the bridge as of 5 PM
  by CharlieL

jdh823 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:35 pm That bridge gets hit more often than you think. It'll be fine
I'm guessing you're correct. They may need to reset it and the top blocks, but for that span, that's a heavy bridge.
  by Tanker1497

Apparently a chain saw in needed in Spotswood. Reports coming in if large tree across tracks. Conrail gets a taste of the storm.
  by Bracdude181

3rd unfortunate railroad event in NJ over the past 24 hours. Apparently NJT hit a tree on the AC line last night too.

by NY&LB

Go to Thread # 1439517 in the NJ Transit rail and light rail operations forum, Atlantic City Line thread. That bridge strike in 2017 was far worse and the line was back in service 5 days later.