• Amtrak Empire Connection outage due to parking garage issues

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Ken W2KB

"Mayor Eric Adams said at a press conference Tuesday that partial service would return Thursday and full service would be coming back on Friday — less than a week after suspensions upended service. The city's Department of Buildings confirmed what the mayor said." https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/a ... s/4861141/
  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:55 am I may have come across some photos of bigger issues than the hole where you can see the tracks that do not involve the parking garage, well one is the hole. Lets just say the others show issues that are going to take more than duct tape and bubble gum to fix. Could take a bit to fix and Thanksgiving is just around the corner kinda fitting.
Through my career something always happens around this holiday be it the derailing of a Burro crane in an interlocking or a well placed derailment just to name a few. Time to hire a Priest, a Rabbi, and just for good luck a witch doctor and have them walk the Hudson from Penn to Albany to get rid of the bad juju.
Local NBC and CBS stations are reporting that not only was it the three holes they found but also cracks in structural beams holding the garage up over the tracks. And yeah, not only Thanksgiving but travel around the time.
  by STrRedWolf

https://abc7ny.com/nyc-parking-garage-a ... /14057598/
HELL'S KITCHEN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Repair crews are hard at work in a parking garage in Hell's Kitchen and trying to fix two holes that led Amtrak to suspend service between New York City and Albany-- and service could resume later this week.

The holes prompted officials to close the Hudson View garage with more than 100 vehicles still inside. Customers were told they would not be able to retrieve their cars until Saturday at the earliest.

Amtrak crews were on the scene at 51st Street between 10th and 11th avenues on Tuesday morning, which was encouraging to customers and residents.

Mayor Eric Adams said that partial Amtrak service is expected to be back Thursday with a full return to service by Friday.

The Department of Buildings confirmed the mayor's timeline, saying enough work should be complete to open one of two Amtrak lines Wednesday evening in time to run trains on the line early Thursday morning. They say repairs will continue, leading to the second Amtrak line to open as soon as Friday night.
Okay, I can relax and maybe blame Gordon Ramsey for this mess. :laughing:
  by mackdave

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:23 am Mr. Wolf, "once upon a time" there WAS an SW connection between the NYC Harlem Div & New Haven "West End" and the HGB line located about a half-mile East of the Harlem River X-ing. This enabled FDR, to expediently get from the HGB line without "doubling back" on the New Haven New Rochelle to Mott Haven and the NYC Hudson Div to Hyde Park (reportedly, FDR preferred the B&O/RDG/CNJ "Royal Blue" as they were more accommodating to his 45mph is fast enough "request". How he was interchanged from the CNJ to the NYC escapes me).

As a kid, I can recall seeing that noted SW connection, but I'm sure it has been chopped up today.
When FDR traveled via the B&O/Reading/CNJ, he went to Jersey City, then up the New Jersey Junction RR (a NYC subsidiary) to Weehawken NJ, and up the River Division (West Shore) to Highland, NY, then automobile over the Mid-Hudson bridge to Hyde Park.

Dave Mackay
  by Gilbert B Norman

Most enlightening to learn. Mr. Mackay. I've now learned from Wiki that the Mid-Hudson Bridge was opened during 1930 while FDR was NY's Governor. While of course "anyone interchanged with anyone" on the West Side of the Hudson, I was unaware he completed his journeys when using the B&O on "the other side".

Incidentally, as part of New York's bid to name bridges after notable NY politicians, the Mid-Hudson Bridge is formally named the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge. How many people refer to it as such, I defer to others.
  by Railjunkie

The Mayor can have his timeline but the railroad will not open till Amtrak says its open. The latest I heard on the 6pm news tonight was Amtrak had no comment on Mayor Adams statement. If its open by Thursday great, completely open by Friday night even better. The Amtrak employee in me has doubts but...
  by rohr turbo

If Amtrak trains start and terminate in Croton-Harmon, how do they turn the train? There's no loop or wye is there? Do a pair of engines run around the train?

Times like these make you wish there were a push-pull trainset for Empire Service :innocent:
  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:42 pm Incidentally, as part of New York's bid to name bridges after notable NY politicians, the Mid-Hudson Bridge is formally named the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge. How many people refer to it as such, I defer to others.
I'll admit I've never heard it as the FDR. Everyone calls it the Mid-Hudson.
  by Railjunkie

rohr turbo wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:08 pm If Amtrak trains start and terminate in Croton-Harmon, how do they turn the train? There's no loop or wye is there? Do a pair of engines run around the train?

Times like these make you wish there were a push-pull trainset for Empire Service :innocent:
Engines on either end. Just cut out one brake stand and cut in the other a brake test and your on your way.
  by Jeff Smith

Greg Moore wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:19 pm
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:42 pm Incidentally, as part of New York's bid to name bridges after notable NY politicians, the Mid-Hudson Bridge is formally named the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge. How many people refer to it as such, I defer to others.
I'll admit I've never heard it as the FDR. Everyone calls it the Mid-Hudson.
Although off-topic, I’ll chime in. The Triboro is the “RFK”. Don’t get me started on the new Tappan Zee (the old one was the “Malcolm Wilson”).
  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:37 pm Mr. Junkie, have you enough engines available for such?
Mr. Norman, Amtrak will run the turns so when it gets back to Albany it will be on the advertised to points north or west. It does not matter if they are dual mode P32ACDMs or single mode P42s. Do not use any third rail on Metro North unless we were detoured to GCT, but that causes a list of other issues.

Have not been to work since this all started on Sunday so the schedule of trains to/from Harmon may have changed a bit.
  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:14 pm The Mayor can have his timeline but the railroad will not open till Amtrak says its open. The latest I heard on the 6pm news tonight was Amtrak had no comment on Mayor Adams statement. If its open by Thursday great, completely open by Friday night even better. The Amtrak employee in me has doubts but...
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... 490210.php
Amtrak spokesman Jason Abrams confirmed the information Tuesday afternoon, saying one track would resume service first before the second resumed Friday.