• Needham Line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by charlesriverbranch

The platform is not in good shape. The surface has become very irregular, and I've come close to tripping several times while walking on it.
  by charlesriverbranch

This morning I found myself up at an ungodly hour, so I took train #600 -- the first one of the day -- from Needham Heights into Boston. I was surprised to find, when I got to Needham Heights Station just before five o'clock, that the crew hadn't opened any doors. I had to walk all the way to the front of the train and bang on a window to get their attention. They didn't seem to be expecting anyone, and I was the only passenger boarding at Needham Heights. At South Station, about a dozen of us got off the train, and a few more got off at Back Bay.

There never used to be a 5:05 train before the pandemic. I was surprised to see them start running one, and wonder how long it will continue since it is lightly used. The crew didn't scan tickets; could that be so that their bosses can argue that no one rides the train? I'm curious.