Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1614817  by NHV 669

There's nothing wrong with being criticized; chin up man. I've been critiqued and corrected plenty of times on these boards. Happens to everyone, we ain't perfect.
 #1614885  by Who

To echo what NH 669 said, this is discussion board, ideas get critiqued all the time, nobody is shaming. I brought up the topic of winter operations, because I thought it would make a great discussion, and that it did.

I was in Lincoln/N. Woodstock this past weekend, the place was jam packed with people, the majority of them were skiers/snow boarders, others were snowmobilers, snowshoers and cross-country skiers. There were plenty of people going store to store (window shoppers), restaurants were packed, and the bars were full. I absolutely believe if the Hobo opened up on the weekends during the winter, people would buy tickets for a train ride. No need to market anything special, just being open would draw people, its proven itself with the Conway Scenic and the Cog Railway.
 #1614900  by highballartist

Winter operations out of Lincoln would be great, but I do agree with previous commenters that something a little more should be offered as well (such as a location to get off with a fire and snacks like the cog does). Running to Jack'O Lantern where they usually turn around and putting some things there sounds good, but the problem with that is they don't own the land there, so they would need to negotiate with the golf course to do something like that. In fact, I think the only land the P&L owns anywhere near Lincoln is the station in Lincoln correct me if i'm wrong). Tracks are owned by the state. It's also a bit of a shame the ice castles have been moved away from the station, which could have provided a nice draw for train rides.
 #1618034  by NHV 669

They're not affiliated with the RR, so I don't see why they would have any "plans" for the operation. The trains are listed as a local attraction on the resort website.
 #1618324  by highballartist

Something that must be mentioned is the fact that the entire line from Lochmere to Lincoln turns into a snowmobile trail for local snowmobile clubs, effective from Jan 1 to Mar 31. The railroad would have to come up with an agreement with the snowmobile groups to be able to run trains during those months, which they may not be enthusiastic about.
 #1623541  by Who

Does anyone know what's going on? Hobo only has a schedule posted for the next two weekends; Winnipesaukee has none. I don't think either railroad operated last weekend or Memorial Day Weekend. It looks like their Railbike Adventures are operating as scheduled for now.
 #1623664  by Who

Yes, they released a limited schedule yesterday, the Winnipesaukee will only be operating 4 days a week during the busy summer months and the Hobo railroad still does not have a schedule beyond next weekend. I can only assume it's an employee shortage that has caused the delayed starts, and limited schedules, I just hope it doesn't get any worse for them.
 #1623851  by b&m 1566

I'm pretty sure there are state laws pertaining to the use of volunteers for, for profit companies. I don't think you can use them in position that makes the company money or use them in paid positions.