Railroad Forums 

• Arch st RIP, Long Live Wheelspur

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1560850  by krispy

rb wrote:Here's a photo from Monday Jan 4...
Nice pic, thanks for posting! Is that New Haven company the same as the one in Oak Point yard?
 #1560872  by DogBert

That is one and the same New Haven co.

Sounds like the old Fresh Direct/Case Paper site will be replaced by 'an ecommerce last mile distribution warehouse' (ie: Amazon).
https://licpost.com/five-story-warehous ... den-avenue

I'm surprised to see it stay within industrial use, but I seriously doubt they'll be receiving rail cars.

At least it won't be a high rise full of wealthy people who complain about living next to a rail yard that is active at random hours of the day and night. (If the blissville hauler has a long string of empties, they often cross into wheelspur and back cuts into bliss...)
 #1560954  by freightguy

At least it won't be a high rise full of wealthy people who complain about living next to a rail yard that is active at random hours of the day and night. (If the blissville hauler has a long string of empties, they often cross into wheelspur and back cuts into bliss...)

On that note you have to see the amount of new luxury apartments going up along the CSX oak point link with way more to follow!
 #1561058  by rb

Guess I'll just keep posting updates here since I can see the yard from my new place...

I hadn't seen evidence of the Wheelspur job for almost a week. Last night they switched out the terminal and dropped off an additional cut of 10 loads on the old secondary. There was a loaded centerbeam, 5 TBOXes, and 5 tanks in the terminal, plus an additional 5 mixed boxcars and 5 more tanks left on the 'mainline.' Guess those will be switched in later.

As someone who grew up watching Arch St from the windows of the 7, it's exciting to see that a fair amount of business followed the terminal over to Wheelspur.
 #1561097  by rb

Yard was switched sometime between 0100 and 0800. Empties pulled, second string of loads from yesterday now in position to be unloaded.
 #1562218  by rb

In today's case of "blink, and you'll miss it," 101 and GMTX 2127 popped over to Wheelspur after dropping the WM empties at Bliss. They spotted two burgundy boxes -- not sure what's in 'em.

#1620200  by rb

Looks like the lumber customer has been gone for a while -- not sure if they are transloading elsewhere.

But a new customer has appeared on that runaround track. They have been getting high-cube boxes and transloading directly into box trucks. I can't quite make out what's in the cars.
 #1620842  by rb

Healthy is getting tanks of vegetable oil, just as they were doing at Arch St.

Newhaven had been getting newsprint for the Times plant when they were based at Oak Point Yard, but I believe their former buildings in the Bx are now used by Manhattan Beer. I *assume* that they are also getting paper products at Wheelspur. Whatever it is, in comes in high-cube boxes and leaves in dry van tractor trailers.
 #1623373  by rb

Sorry for the very slow response, but the page looks great!

I'm not sure what's up with Newhaven. They haven't gotten any cars for 2+ weeks but still have trailers parked at the freight house. Meanwhile, the customer on the 'back track' has been getting 3-4 boxcars every week and unloading them directly into box trucks.
 #1626154  by rb

Just confirming that no boxcars have been spotted at the freight house for 2+ months now. Deliveries of boxcars to the runaround track continue.
 #1627435  by JBKingEsq

As we all know, the market for newsprint has become much smaller than pre-internet days. NYA worked for years to get Newsday to start shipping to LI again after that traffic moved to the Bronx in 1997, but it would not have turned out to be the traffic anticipated. New Haven Distribution used to be the heavy hitter in transloading newsprint, handling paper for Newsday, New York Times and New York Post, plus the coupon and flyer people.