Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner II & III Preservation

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1065315  by acelaphillies

With the retiring of the Silverliner II and III railcars I guess this is what's next.

Right now I am not aware of any cars that are definitely being preserved. I know that the 9001 was talked about but I have not heard anything for sure. I think we would all agree that after almost 50 years of service and having served started on some of the most historic railroads in history it would be a real shame to not see even one of these cars preserved. I know the 269 jumps into everyone's mind. I think if anything is going to be done now is the time as the cars are not yet at the scrapper.

Here are some posts from the 269 thread in Feb:
wagz wrote:Wow, only $65k? That's a drop in the bucket really. Anyone have contacts at the NRHS or a similar agency? Let's start a collection and I'll open up my wallet.
bigjoe714 wrote:I'm fairly new to this forum so I'm not sure whether you guys are serious or not, but if you are I had a suggestion. You could create a campaign on kickstarter.com. That allows you to set a goal and people can donate money but the donations are not processed until the goal is met. It seemed like a perfect scenario that could be used.

Thanks,
Joe
Jersey_Mike wrote:If a non-profit comes up with anything above what these guys paid for the units they might be able to cut them a break on the price and claim the difference as a charitable donation. Groups like Philly NRHS should really consider making the upcoming trip a fund-raiser to purchase 269.
John Scott, PA-TEC wrote:We(Pennsylvania Transit Expansion Coalition) are interested in contributing a major portion. Please contact me offline.
nomis wrote: http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds ... hp?id=3306
$65,000 and this thing could be yours ..

So my question is: Who is going to preserve a Silverliner II or III?
  • Pennsylvania Transit Expansion Coalition?
    Philly NHRS?
    RR Museaum of PA?
    Reading Historical Society?
    Us?
    Everyone combined?
I don't know if anyone wants to start a fundraiser, but if it is going to happen its gotta happen soon.
 #1065357  by R36 Combine Coach

I doubt any of the Pennsylvania organizations would be interested. I'm not sure what's the status with Reading Technical and 9001 (haven't heard anything for several weeks). But I believe IIIs are in most need of preserevation, even if only one car, due to their oddball status and low production numbers.

I have considered contacting several NJ organizations to see if they'll take a SL-III in lieu of a Arrow I push-pull, which are currently on lease or in the process of being sold to other agencies. (Whippany already has several Comet Is)
 #1065429  by MACTRAXX

R36: I agree with you-if that is what it takes to preserve a St.Louis Car Silverliner 3 in a trade that is what should be done...

There were just 20 of these cars built and we all know how rare they are...Perhaps #235 could be a prime candidate there...

With more Silverliner 2s to work with I feel that at least one PRR and one RDG car be preserved...

Will the scrap owner of these cars be willing to work out another trade involving equipment?
What equipment can be "sacrificed" to ensure that 2-3 of these cars be preserved?

As we all know when there finally gone...

MACTRAXX
 #1065685  by Clearfield

acelaphillies wrote:So my question is: Who is going to preserve a Silverliner II or III?
    Philly NHRS?
    RR Museaum of PA?
    Us?
    Everyone combined?
Ya know, everyone says SEPTA uses 'no money' as an excuse not to do things.

Now the shoe is on our foot.

Anyone willing to step up to the plate?
 #1066635  by acelaphillies

Clearfield wrote:
acelaphillies wrote:So my question is: Who is going to preserve a Silverliner II or III?
    Philly NHRS?
    RR Museaum of PA?
    Us?
    Everyone combined?
Ya know, everyone says SEPTA uses 'no money' as an excuse not to do things.

Now the shoe is on our foot.

Anyone willing to step up to the plate?
I agree, if someone started a fund to preserve an old Silverliner and we all chipped in what we can manage; and some of the above organizations help out with what they could do we could at least save one Silverliner from the scrapper.
 #1087076  by Franklin Gowen

Nobody's posted any other developments here in over two months, so I guess we can draw our own conclusions from that.
 #1087470  by Clearfield

acelaphillies wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:Nobody's posted any other developments here in over two months, so I guess we can draw our own conclusions from that.
That would be a shame if none of these cars got saved.
Perhaps the best hope is for the Juniata Terminal Company (avoiding people's names here) or another organization known for collecting vintage PRR equipment.

Short of that, the retired Silverliners will be turned into Silverware.

Some of 269 will be in my kitchen drawer, and that is horrible.
 #1622367  by CNJGeep

dcipjr wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:21 am Several years down the line…does anyone know what happened to 9001? Was it saved?
Moved from Wayne to Frazer in October of 2019, still sitting there.
 #1633766  by CNJGeep

238 took its final ride last weekend, delivered to Sims in Morrisville.

9001 is still slated for preservation.