Railroad Forums 

• Rail Bike and e-Bike Operations and Trails

• General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.
General discussion related to Rail Trails nationwide, including proposed rail trail routes. The official site of the Rails-To-Trails Conservancy can be found here: www.railstotrails.org.

Moderator: railtrailbiker

#1619908  by Jeff Smith

I thought I'd start a topic on this type of operation. One I can think of off the top of my head is Essex, CT. Anyone else?

https://hackaday.com/2023/04/07/riding- ... -by-ebike/
RIDING THE RAILS BY EBIKE
Since his vehicle only has two wheels, he has designed a custom outrigger system consisting of a front guide that leads the front wheel and keeps the bike on the tracks, and a rear support arm which allows the bike to lean slightly against the outside rail. Both outriggers retract to convenient positions when using the vehicle as a bike instead of a rail cart, and it’s quite the impressive bike at that. Details are sparse on the bicycle itself but it seems to be a custom frame built around fairly large battery and possibly 2000W or more of power in a rear hub motor. Without the pedals and bicycle drivetrain it would almost certainly make a capable electric motorcycle from the way it performs in the video below.

There are some other interesting details about this project as well, like the use of the drone as a gimballed camera mount on his outrigger which allows for some interesting camera shots a GoPro might not have been able to do as easily. He also goes into a lot of detail about the history of the rail and the central California coast for any history buffs out there. For anyone thinking this build looks a little familiar, it’s actually another iteration of his previous non-electric rail bicycle we featured in the past.
https://joltbike.com/2023/04/01/rail-to ... guide/amp/
Exploring America’s Rail Trails: A Guide to E-Bike Adventures
Before you set out on your rail to trail adventure, it’s important to choose the right trail for your skill level and interests. Some trails are paved and relatively flat, while others are more rugged and require more technical skills. Here are some of the best rail trails in the United States:

The Great Allegheny Passage in Pennsylvania and Maryland: This 150-mile trail is a favorite among cyclists, with scenic views of the Allegheny Mountains and several historic towns along the way.
The Katy Trail in Missouri: This 240-mile trail follows the Missouri River and passes through picturesque towns and vineyards.
The Silver Comet Trail in Georgia and Alabama: This 61.5-mile trail is paved and relatively flat, making it a great option for beginners.
The Mickelson Trail in South Dakota: This 109-mile trail passes through the Black Hills and offers stunning views of the region’s rugged terrain.
The Root River Trail in Minnesota: This 42-mile trail winds through the scenic Root River Valley and offers plenty of opportunities for wildlife viewing.