Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1619362  by A215

Legacy interlocking names are returning, except on Keolis territory which they can't change. HA to NC will remain the same, along with WL.
 #1619370  by markhb

Thanks, folks! (I also wonder how such a quiet little rural/suburban spot got named "Sodom," but that's undoubtedly lost to time...)
 #1619379  by Shortline614

It looks like some of the resulting agreements from the CSX-Pan Am merger are starting to be implemented. The Vermont Rail System (using the Green Mountian railroad) filed a notice of exemption with the STB to obtain trackage rights over the New England Central between White River Junction, Vermont and Millers Falls, Massachusetts.
Green Mountain Railroad Corporation ("GMRC"), a Class III common carrier,
files this verified notice of exemption (the "Notice") pursuant to 49 C.F.R. § 1180.2(d)(7) for
authorization to exercise trackage rights over approximately 61.4 miles of railroad line (the
"Line") of New England Central Railroad, Inc. ("NECR"). The Line is located in the
Commonwealth of Massachusetts and in the States of New Hampshire and Vermont.

The proposed trackage rights arrangement is the product of a successful settlement
negotiations among VRS, the State of Vermont, and other parties to the consolidation transaction
proceeding encompassed by, and ultimately approved in, CSX Corp. and CSX Transp. Inc., et al.
- Control and Merger-Pan Am Sys., Inc., et al., FD 36472 (STB served Apr. 14, 2022)
("Decision No. 9").
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 306390.pdf
 #1619388  by S1f3432

For Markhb- something to do with those of dubious character....

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1 ... c8bdb9e800
Sodom, at what was formerly the intersection of Route 1 and Granite Street (you used to be able to hop on I-95 South from here too) is a place name I’ve wondered about for years. Web searches did not help and nobody I’ve asked seemed to know why it was called Sodom.

Now, thanks to the Yarmouth Historical Society, an article by Christopher Hyde in The Notes (1/22/91), and a letter by Sara Fitts Haynes recording a story told by Miss Eugenie Soule, we can all find out.

“Asked if she had ever lived in Sodom, she said tensely, ‘I never lived in Sodom,’ then she said that when the railroad was being put through, immigrant laborers were brought in to dig the road-bed. They lived in camps and small huts around the place they were working; there was drunkenness and violence.

One day some officials of the railroad drove from Portland in their shiny carriage to inspect the work. As they watched the scene before them, one man, at last, exclaimed in horror: ‘I have read of Sodom in the bible – now I have seen it!’”
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: added brief fair-use quote
 #1619576  by markhb

S1f3432 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:59 pm For Markhb- something to do with those of dubious character....

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1 ... c8bdb9e800
That's amazing... thanks!
 #1619580  by MEC407

Imagine being a railroad big-wig (or is it "big-Whig"?) in the mid-1800s, and you're trying to decide what to call the various locations on your railroad:

"This spot crosses a brook so we'll use the brook's name; this spot is near an apple orchard so we'll call it Orchard; this spot is at the highest point so we'll call it Highland; this spot is where we saw a bunch of drunks beating the $#!T out of each other so we'll call it Sodom."

What a time to be alive...
 #1619590  by NHV 669

F74265A wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:17 pm CSX inspection train equipment came east on the B&A today on M436. Rumored to be for a tour of the pan am property.
You mean their property? Pan Am doesn't exist anymore...
 #1619608  by ST377

CSX F40 1 and 2 are actually being tested for PTC in Keolis territory. Rumor mill saying it'll happen tonight on the B&A.
 #1619700  by BandA

Saw CSX1 & CSX2 locomotives in the B&A Worcester yard, yesterday Tuesday 4/4/2023. Looked real sharp, looked like something that would be pulling an office car train. Must have something to due with inspections.