Railroad Forums 

• Lackawanna Cutoff Passenger Service Restoration

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1618712  by lensovet

Interesting. Some fun things:

- Study done by Amtrak, contracted by PNRRA in July 2021
- Report also still shows the proposed Allentown line down the RVL
- PA track improvement cost is 100-170M. This excludes estimates for new stations, terminal facilities, New Jersey infrastructure improvements, and reconstructing the NJ portion. Track gets upgraded to class 3 or 4 depending on the location.
- 70-90M for two train sets running 3 trains/day. Route alternates between M&E and M-B to avoid commuter train conflicts. Total travel time just under 3 hours.
- Ridership of ~470k riders/year requiring a 5.8M operating subsidy
- Schedule assumes 110 mph running on the Cut-off portion
 #1618717  by checkmatechamp13

james1787 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:55 pm This popped up today on Amtrak's website regarding the cutoff.

https://media.amtrak.com/2023/03/amtrak ... MCnTyTkcfk

Here is a link to the finding...
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... ervice.pdf
I thought it was a typo when they mentioned including Montclair and Morristown on the same line. Apparently, they will have two branches (and basically attempt to avoid conflicts with the Montclair-Boonton Line trains). Anything that runs on that line should at least stop in Boonton to provide midday service to at least some portion of that region of the line.
 #1618721  by james1787

It definitely sounded like a step in the right direction and Amtrak sounds like they like the project and would like to move forward. Of course, still major hurdles to go (project gets picked, funding, etc) but happy to see some sort of news.
 #1618793  by joeycannoli

Amtrak study says no earlier than 2028. I’d say you wouldn’t see anything until the 30s as we know it takes forever get anything done nowadays. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

Big items would be the restoration of the viaducts and getting the new stations built.
 #1618944  by Dcell

You need to remember NJT's timeline -- no service to Andover before reconstruction is completed in 2027. And no plans, or funding, for reconstruction beyond Andover to the Delaware River. Scranton service is way way in the future, if it happens at all.
 #1618968  by photobug56

NJT is rebuilding to Andover. It sounds like Amtrak will handle everything west from Andover to Scranton. Amtrak does not have to wait for NJT to finish their work to start theirs. Sure, the released report doesn't include the western part; that's likely to end up as an add on.
 #1619038  by joeycannoli

photobug56 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 pm NJT is rebuilding to Andover. It sounds like Amtrak will handle everything west from Andover to Scranton. Amtrak does not have to wait for NJT to finish their work to start theirs. Sure, the released report doesn't include the western part; that's likely to end up as an add on.
Yes, if the project is picked up by Amtrak they can work simultaneously with NJT doing their thing to Andover.
 #1619060  by Roadgeek Adam

Not to mention NJT had the DWG, Analomink, and Tobyhanna stops, along with the Greendell MOW facility it would do on its own during that time. If they so choose to.
 #1619067  by Gilbert B Norman

There does not appear to be discussion here regarding just how sound the massive viaducts remain.

All I know is that anytime I have driven I-80 through that area, I'm just as glad to have "made it" without my auto getting "beaned".
 #1619092  by lensovet

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm Not to mention NJT had the DWG, Analomink, and Tobyhanna stops, along with the Greendell MOW facility it would do on its own during that time. If they so choose to.
I'm not sure why NJT would sink any money into this (or build an MOW facility for a service Amtrak would be running). Andover is getting done, the rest would be up to Amtrak (since PNRRA presumably can't spend money in NJ). A 20% local match would be needed, though I wonder if NJT could claim that their Andover work covers the 20%.
 #1619093  by lensovet

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:27 pm There does not appear to be discussion here regarding just how sound the massive viaducts remain.

All I know is that anytime I have driven I-80 through that area, I'm just as glad to have "made it" without my auto getting "beaned".
Nope, and the report indeed includes zero consideration for this, apart from explicitly calling out that the cost estimates do not include any viaduct (or any other part of the cut-off) restoration work.

Then again, Roman aqueduct bridges are still standing 2000 years later so…
 #1619095  by Gilbert B Norman

lensovet wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:41 pm Then again, Roman aqueduct bridges are still standing 2000 years later so…
Mr. Sovet, you certainly have a point here!

But if any of those viaducts need much more than their catwalk railings and the graffiti removed, we are talking big BIG $$$ presently not factored into anyone's cost analyses.