Railroad Forums 

• Any tips on landing a job interview for conductor?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1600022  by Engineer Spike

I never saw this post, but in my opinion, you're better off changing your major to something more universally useful. There should be no trouble finding a railroad job, if you would like one. Railroads are desperate for help now.

I've mentioned changing your major for a few reasons. First, as mentioned they are desperate for help. In my terminal dozens of new hires have come and gone with none having a railroad degree. Right now anyone who can pass a drug test, and has some semblance of intelligence will get hired. Shotgun applications around to everyone.

The second point is that the railroad is a very tough place to work. With the skeleton staffing and job cuts of a few years ago, they expect to almost own the employee. You may have seen the railroad media mention BNSF's Hi-Viz attendance policy. If you are college age, you no doubt would like to have a social life, and spend time with your friends. No dice on the railroad. You may not like it.

A last item is that the railroads have become really nasty to work for. Sometimes they nail you for very trivial "offenses". Being a human being, you are not perfect. Someday there might be an incident. You may have not even been at fault. Another crew member might have been at fault. That does not mean that you will not be held responsible. Many employees carry job insurance. This is used if your are held out service for discipline. Another solution is to have another side gig just in case. A few guys were formerly contractors. They do little jobs to keep their hand I'm it. A couple of these guys have purchased rn down two family houses and have rehabbed them. As Red said in Shawshank Redemption, "Prison is no ferry tale life." So too is it these days on the railroad.
 #1602213  by Engineer Spike

You may have better working conditions on a short line. There may be downsides too. First, the customer base is not as diverse. If a customer goes bust, changes to trucks, moves, then it may be all over. Many short lines also run on a shoestring. This may not be advantageous for making a career. I really feel that Choo Choo U is a waste of time and tuition.
 #1602449  by UKtraindriver

Engineer Spike wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:47 am
A last item is that the railroads have become really nasty to work for. Sometimes they nail you for very trivial "offenses". Being a human being, you are not perfect. Someday there might be an incident. You may have not even been at fault. Another crew member might have been at fault. That does not mean that you will not be held responsible. Many employees carry job insurance. This is used if your are held out service for discipline. Another solution is to have another side gig just in case. A few guys were formerly contractors. They do little jobs to keep their hand I'm it. A couple of these guys have purchased rn down two family houses and have rehabbed them. As Red said in Shawshank Redemption, "Prison is no ferry tale life." So too is it these days on the railroad.
That sounds terrible, surely the union should be all over that?
 #1618711  by ArmandoMyers

I’m aware this answer comes a bit late, but for others who might have the same question. My top tip would be to ensure your resume and cover letter highlight your experience and qualifications related to the job. Also, don't be afraid to network, contact industry professionals or attend job fairs.
 #1629745  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Traindriver, not sure how things are over on your side of the Ditch, but over here, within the Agreements of each craft, is a probationary period from 30 to 90 days. During this period, an employee can be disciplined, including dismissal, "at will", or otherwise without a "fair and impartial hearing".

The language used to dismiss a probationary employee is "your application for employment is denied".
 #1635297  by tecocraftuk

Railroads might be hiring, but the work can be brutal, and they're not exactly employee-friendly. I've seen folks with no railroad background get hired, so it's not all about your major. Plus, the whole Hi-Viz attendance policy thing? Sounds like a real buzzkill for any social life.