Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1617638  by R36 Combine Coach

jonnhrr wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:25 am Planners probably do not go for color named expressways because map makers typically use color to define class of road. One could have the red, blue and green expressways but coloring a map to match the names wouldn't be good.
Rand McNally since the late 80s uses blue for toll-free expressways and freeways, green for toll roads. The coloring scheme was different before.

AAA has red for freeways, gold for toll.

In the days of gas station maps, it seems each of the oil companies had its own color scheme for different road
classes.
 #1617707  by F40CFan

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:24 pm CTA Rapid Transit Lines and their RTA map color coding:
RED: Howard-Englewood-Jackson Park
BLUE: Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee
GREEN: Lake-Dan Ryan
PURPLE: Ravenswood
BROWN: Evanston Express/Local
ORANGE: Skokie Swift
Actually the Ravenswood became the brown line and the Evanston Express became the purple line.
 #1617757  by MACTRAXX

F40CFan wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:02 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:24 pm CTA Rapid Transit Lines and their RTA map color coding:
RED: Howard-Englewood-Jackson Park
BLUE: Congress-Douglas-Milwaukee
GREEN: Lake-Dan Ryan
PURPLE: Ravenswood
BROWN: Evanston Express/Local
ORANGE: Skokie Swift
Actually the Ravenswood became the brown line and the Evanston Express became the purple line.
F40C: You obviously did NOT read my entire post - This was the ORIGINAL use of color coding
on a folded map to denote CTA Rapid Transit routes back in *1978* - 45 years ago - which eventually
evolved with changes and additions to the 1993 implementation of the CTA color route naming.

"1978-1979 RTA Map of Northeastern Illinois" is the map title which is printed on glossy paper.
The two maps - City of Chicago and Chicago Suburbs - have a black background print making
the coloring used for rail and bus routes stand out vividly with the contrast - in short a well -
prepared first effort from the RTA which then was a huge change as compared to CTA maps from
those years which only used one or two base colors from the 1970s into the first half of the 1980s.

Upon further review of this map there is an RTA copyright dated 1977-1978 - Second Edition
Effective June 1978 - Prepared by Rand McNally & Co. (a well-known map-making and map
design company) for the Regional Transportation Authority. Both sides of this map are here:
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/RTA/FullMa ... hicago.jpg
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/RTA/FullMa ... uburbs.jpg

(Thanks, JL :-D ) MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1617764  by justalurker66

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:28 amI would submit the map for the topic but unfortunately my device has no scanning capabilities.
The map is available online. Additional editions have also been posted by IRM.
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/RTA/RTA.html

Long live HoDar and L.E. Jack!

BTW: My opinion has not changed since the beginning of this thread two years ago. Colors are fine, no numbers needed in Chicago. I am glad that Chicago uses labeled colors (ie: the word GREEN showing on green line trains) to help the color challenged.
 #1617771  by MACTRAXX

JL: THANK YOU for the IRM link...From further review I found the THREE maps that I was searching for:

1-The 1977 RTA map of Chicago - Edition 1 effective November 1976 - Copyright 1977 RTA of Chicago
Prepared by Rand McNally - All rights reserved - (The Chicago map side in "Living Color")
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/rta/FullMa ... hicago.jpg

2-CTA Car Card Map - Graphics by CTA Operations Planning OP1 January 1977
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/CarCards/C ... -01-00.jpg
This was one of the first CTA maps to use the color coding that led to what we know today -
I once had one of these - and traded it away over 20 years ago...

3-The first color CTA folded map - Edition 44 February 1985
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/FullMaps/0 ... _Front.jpg
http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps/FullMaps/0 ... 4_Rear.jpg
All subsequent CTA folded maps improved and updated their color graphic designs...

Good to know that IRM has archived CTA and RTA maps available for viewing -
I was impressed not only that my device had no problems with the links - I was able to do
close-ups and read text clearly for the descriptions that I posted of these maps...
I changed my post up above to add both sides of the 1978-1979 RTA Map...

JL - We can still agree to disagree about adding numbers to CTA Rapid Transit routes :wink:
MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1617774  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears that the Pink Line has been overlooked in this discussion. That line features much at grade running - albeit "not exactly" through the best part of town (uh, not quite Amtrak and Sun Rail running through Winter Park, FL :-D ).

I think that for any of us who are color challenged (that's aging, volks, or so says my ophthalmologist), the elimination, or clarification in plain English (Espanol?), is a help. I had an embarrassing first hand experience with such, when one year going overseas to the Salzburg Festival (a dress-up if there ever was), I grabbed identical in design, a Black and a Dark Brown shoe, for the journey. Likely the only person noting such was me, but it still was a self-conscious experience.
 #1617778  by MACTRAXX

GBN - Read my original post that started this topic - The "Pepto-Bismol" Line :wink: was NOT forgotten... I based my use of CTA numbers on ridership and importance to the system - #6 of the 8 CTA routes. I agree with you about color challenges - text and graphics need to assist riders where needed...

The maps I posted (thanks to JL's IRM map link) were the ORIGIN of the CTA color coding that would eventually lead to the 1993 change to color names. I learned the system by name of routes in the 1970s.

The re-introduction of a name to go along with the number (such as #4 LAKE) retaining the now well - established color graphics can be a good middle ground - why would one NOT want more information?

MACTRAXX
 #1617785  by Gilbert B Norman

Sorry, Mr.MACTRAXX; I only went as far as your summary posting where Pink has been omitted.

If the CTA's promotional material had such the shade of Pepto, than it would be less an issue for those of becoming color challenged, but to me the shade appears lighter than that.

But to close, I no longer ride the CTA; I'm too much the "fraidy cat" - and for that matter, to drive into the Loop. For the CSO, it's just walk X the Loop from CUS to Michigan. Same for meeting friends at Palmer House. I even walked CUS to Holy Name for a Funeral Mass this past November.
 #1617788  by F40CFan

MACTRAXX wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:28 am F40C: You obviously did NOT read my entire post - This was the ORIGINAL use of color coding on a folded map to denote CTA Rapid Transit routes back in *1978* - 45 years ago - which eventually evolved with changes and additions to the 1993 implementation of the CTA color route naming.
I stand corrected. I must admit I've never seen that map before, and I thought I had seen and collected all of them.