Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1615512  by baju

If you look closely it appears there is another track that goes off to the right. Was there a switch about where the photographer is standing? Did they stop clearing straight to the road. Did they clear the area where the right leg of the why is supposed to be? Nice photo.
 #1615513  by Bracdude181

I could be wrong but I think that switch is for the old PRR line when it still in service between Farmingdale and Sea Girt. Either that or one of the now long gone industries. A friend of mine says there was once a big coal distributor here.
 #1615516  by CR7876

Left is to the southern, straight is the PRR to the diamond. My guess is since the grant calls for two switches, that switch is going to be replaced and a new one cut in on the Southern to make a full wye.
 #1615518  by CharlieL

As far as straight (to the diamond), that has never really been overgrown except directly along Railroad Ave. Last winter you could see the rails, which they seem to have pulled. And don't forget, the lead to the southern was dual-tracked for quite some time. Look at old USGS maps which show the southern dual-tracked except right at the station / diamond, including the lead to the FIT. So there were at least 2 switches there at one time.
 #1615533  by Blackseal Jim

PennRail42 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:38 am Does anyone have any progress pictures of the new track construction near Okerson Road? Looks to be a different contractor working the line?
I drove past the Okerson Rd crossing on my way home from work. Yesterday ,. Railroad Construction dropped off a large loader with a bucket and forks . Nothing new today. I imagine with the arrival of the loader , ties will be arriving soon .
Jim H
 #1615536  by JohnFromJersey

Forest3670 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:44 pm Looking East from Southard Ave. I can't believe the progress.
Yep, looks like that diamond leg in I took a picture of is going to be where the wye will be. I passed by Railroad Ave today, and if you look into the woods, you can see that they are clearing into the woods for that section of track.

The current curve of the switch has been totally cleared. For the first time in nearly two decades, you can see the rail there.
Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:45 pm Looks like they cleared the straight section all the way to Railroad Ave. Hoping they build a wye…
I would assume they are building a wye, no need to clear that straight section of the track if it's not planned...
 #1615554  by R&DB

The straight section of ROW toword the location of the former diamond only needs to curve to the South for the last 300' to perform the wye. I have not gonr tp the site for several years ,but I remember rails still existed toward the diamond . Installing a curve to a switch on th SOUS would not be a problem.
 #1615597  by AWSmith

Moments ago. I'm at Railroad Ave now. I see no problem with them taking the Wye right off the diamond track. They could start the bend right where the rails currently end. Image

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

#1615600  by pumpers

IF there is to be a new connection the Southern, they may have to thread the needle between JCP&L and a small fenced in pumping station to the north (on the right looking from Railroad Ave in this Google maps photo): https://goo.gl/maps/oss1TeFzZg1RSXoB7 )
I wonder what that pumping station is all about, if that is what it is.
https://goo.gl/maps/NTyoDRQFKPY1E66P6
Last edited by pumpers on Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.