Railroad Forums 

• NS Derailment has caused trains to be re-routed, NYS&W has one

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1615470  by nydepot

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/us/east- ... index.html
There was a mechanical failure warning before the crash, NTSB Member Michael Graham said Sunday. About 10 of 20 cars carrying hazardous materials – among more than 100 cars in all – derailed, the agency said.

“The crew did receive an alarm from a wayside defect detector shortly before the derailment, indicating a mechanical issue,” Graham said. “Then an emergency brake application initiated.”

Investigators also identified the point of derailment and found video showing “preliminary indications of mechanical issues” on one of the railcar axles, Graham said.
Last edited by nomis on Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: added fair use qoute
 #1615485  by NHV 669

They've taken more than one, and will likely handle whatever continues to come their way until that area is cleaned up.

28X came down the Susie Q on Sunday, running as SU-100.
 #1615649  by Bracdude181

It was on the NYSW in Rochelle Park I found out. Didn’t rip the power lines down but came very close to doing so.

The incident was captured on video by a railfan. I have a copy but not sure how to upload it onto here from my phone. Can I do it through Tapatalk?

Heard NYSW was very unhappy about it and told NS no more intermodal detours on the Southern Division. Unsure about that.
 #1615671  by cjvrr

Why would NYS&W Be unhappy about the detours? More money in their pocket.

As far as the wires being pulled down, that is on the utility companies. Either phone or cable. They strung their lines too low and there are minimum clearance they are supposed to be above the rails. Railroad has no liability.