Railroad Forums 

• Mass Coastal Railroad (MC) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1606498  by newpylong

It is awesome to see those new customers the Mass Coastal is getting. It would be good to see the iron restored down to the flour plant so they can get direct delivery.
 #1606807  by malbojah

Falmouth Secondary to Otis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:48 pm Cavossa Disposal Corporation was awarded a $413,326 MA IRAP grant to help modernize the Upper Cape Cod Regional transfer station. Great news as the Falmouth Secondary line and the Otis Industrial track have recently been rehabilitated with new RR ties / Ballast.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/massa ... cf986aa526
I'll have to start bugging Carl to see what the grand plans are. I can only hope for a second building that does strictly MSW.
SOCO11 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:52 am *SNIP*
Excel scrap in Freetown is now shipping out of their site even before trackwork into it is started. These government grants are finally showing some results. They need to approve some $$ to rebuild track down to RI border in Fall River. MCRR has shown they can pick up the customers.
I wish SeMass would ship the mixed metal they have on site out by rail, They have to have 2,000+ tons just sitting on the floor inside the building.
 #1607053  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Will certainly be interested in seeing what modernization plans are in store for the UCCRTS. While the IRAP grant is a good thing to receive would like to know why it was awarded to Cavossa seeing that the 4 Upper Cape Town's own the building, and the Federal / State government are the station & RR ROW landowners. His company was selected to run the station by the UCCRTS Board of Managers, with his initial contract set to be renewed / extended as it expires at the end of 2022. If Cavossa's contract doesn't get renewed, then what happens to the grant? No local news has been reported about the UCCRTS grant which I'm sure will send the bike path group into a tailspin once they read the good news!
 #1612539  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

Looks like Cavossa's C&D Transfer Station operation will be out of service for a while. A major fire erupted Thursday morning around 4:30 am involving the C&D debris inside the building and rail cars at the Otis transfer Station. Looks suspicious to me as it was closed at 4:30 am and happened during the winter. Also, Cavossa's contract is up for renewal on 12/31/22 so will have to see what the Fire Investigation result comes up being either accidental or Arson.

https://www.capecod.com/cape-wide-news/ ... Cape%20Cod.
 #1612641  by malbojah

Accident, something in the last load that was dropped off self-combusted overnight. Everything was caught on camera before the fire melted the cameras. Not arson.

As for time frame: something I'm staying away from, also not pressing the issue with Carl.
 #1612649  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

The Town of Bourne had a similar incident a few years ago at their C&D transfer station. The facility was repaired, and a new high flow expanded fire sprinkler system along with a side access door panel was installed for quick access to the debris pile in case the situation occurs again. Good thing Cavossa had surveillance cameras on site to record how it happened for Insurance purposes.
 #1614013  by Falmouth Secondary to Otis

malbojah wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:59 am No promises, but joint Base Cape cod has started clearing the trees out from the middle of the tracks on the base
Are they clearing at the end of the spur towards the WYE ? I Hiked around the WYE area by the golf course today and all is quiet on that end so far.
 #1614956  by malbojah

Looks like I got everybody's hopes up for nothing. They cleared all of maybe a hundred feet of trees from where the tracks cross at Lee Road back to the main tree line area
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1614975  by jaymac

There's always the possibility that the clearing work resulted from the need to keep the reservists busy on a weekend drill.