Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1615338  by JohnFromJersey

Forest3670 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:09 pm Progress up tp Southard Ave in Farmingdale. Pictures next to Freeway Warehouse
That trailer is awful close to the ROW. Looks like they were cautious with brush clearing by it. I wonder if that trailer is technically fouling the ROW.
CharlieL wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:06 pm That looks like an old CRR type booth. Never noticed it when I walked that. It was 7 or 8 years ago, though. Perhaps used back when the diamond was in use, to verify no conflict.

That structure on railroad ave is part of the Manasquan River Regional Sewage Authority (MRRSA) There is room between that and JCPL property to swing a wye through, though the point it would join the Southern is pretty close to Marl Rd.

PS pretty sure CRR had trackage rights from their branch in Freehold to the southern.
So, they won't be using the remnants of the diamond approach tracks then?
CharlieL wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 pm At least as gentle as the existing leg. I'm not gonna get excited about the second leg until I see survey marks or brush cleared.
I expect we will have answer on the wye brush clearing very soon, perhaps by the end of the week. Maybe even tomorrow, who knows, since that's the next course of action they have to take.

I also wonder if the diamond approach tracks will be re-habbed if they don't use it for the wye.
 #1615341  by CharlieL

They used that leg (approaching the diamond) to park on up until Golds went out of business. The switch was just pulled about a year ago (somewhere in the Southern secondary thread). They could put the switch back, for the wye, and go from there.
 #1615347  by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:59 pm They used that leg (approaching the diamond) to park on up until Golds went out of business. The switch was just pulled about a year ago (somewhere in the Southern secondary thread). They could put the switch back, for the wye, and go from there.
I believe there was a picture of a locomotive parked on that leg, somewhere wayyyy back in the Southern Secondary thread. I thought it was on the switch leg, but I guess it was on the diamond approach
 #1615387  by R&DB

pumpers wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:01 am When did passenger service switch to Doodlebugs? Or was it a mix of steam and doodlebugs in 1957 already?
I believe both until around 1960, then just doodlebugs and freight. The Monmouth Council Boy Scouts of America had a camp on Hurley Pond Road just east of the track and we would hear the freights at night from the camp. Two doodlebugs a day, both raound trip, one East , one West. Trenton - Red Bank via Manasquan and Jamesburg
 #1615389  by R&DB

re" The wye in Farmingdale/
The room required for the southern leg for the Wye and was plahhed for in the 1850's! You can see it on G-maps, just zoom in on the area just North of the JCPL yard until you see the property lines. The parcel of land curves to the South toward the SOUS. Plenty of room for a track, althoughh Railroad Ave may need realignment for a switch on the SOUS.
 #1615407  by GSC

The pic of K4 #612 crossing the F'dale diamond was during Pennsy's "Farewell to Steam" fantrip in 1957.

A few times I caught a shut-down Conrail Geep parked on the approach tracks to the diamond while Gold was still open. It was pretty well hidden in a "tunnel of trees".
 #1615416  by CharlieL

They've just about broken thru at railroad ave. No sign of work on lead to the diamond.

Meanwhile, grading of the roadbed almost done between Okerson and Howell Rds.

Looks like Watson contractors is digging to emplace signaling equipment at Adelphia Rd in Farmingdale.