Railroad Forums 

• All Things Empire Builder

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1587793  by John_Perkowski

ADMIN NOTE

OT comments on employee injuries and the way to get care and compensation have been moved to the EMployment Forum
 #1588311  by BandA

I like the idea of a drone or a cart. You could even build a cart that deploys grade crossing gates on an infrequently used branch. You can inspect for rock falls, mudslides, washouts, heat kinks every time. You could design a cart that is unlikely to derail a train (although in Boston a streetcar can be derailed with a skateboard)
 #1588359  by justalurker66

It is not a good idea to put a cart before the horse. "Deploys crossing gates"? Some sort of automatic system that stops at lesser protected crossings, blocks the road without blocking the track and then undeploys when the train is past? Might as well suggest flying trains.
 #1588362  by eolesen

Yeah, still not sure why we're discussing insoection drones or carts. The line where this happened sees 20 + trains a day. That isnt exactly an unused branchline.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1588385  by STrRedWolf

I know we're getting antsy for answers from the NTSB, but we got to wait for that report. That will have all the details.

As probably mentioned before, the details I'm looking for is what happened between the train before the Empire Builder and the accident. Did that train knock the rail out or did it sunkink afterwards? Evidence so far leans to sudden rail damage or deforming.
 #1588404  by justalurker66

It will be hard to say. The NTSB should have head end video from both trains but there is no FRED video available to show the state of the rails behind the freight train. So if there is damage or deformity noted on the Amtrak head end camera it will be an educated guess whether that occurred after the train ahead or because of the train ahead. There could be damage or deformity seen on the freight head end camera that that freight train somehow survived. There could also be no damage or deformity seen on either camera.

Three months after the incident. Perhaps we should have asked for a little more patience for Christmas? When there is an obvious issue there is usually a preliminary release. Nothing obvious about the cause in this incident. Just the facts - train somehow lost contact with rail. Details to be determined. Still.
 #1591417  by STrRedWolf

Hearing that the Empire Builder had a run with a Siemens ALC-42... which didn't go so well. I haven't been able to confirm but rumor is that Engine 301 had PTC issues. They ended up slapping P42DC 84 up front, which blew the HEP generator and had to get that swapped out in Glenview, IL... and the HEP box on the lounge also blew up, causing a small fire.

I'm assuming it's on 7/27(8) because it's running over 2 hours late to Milwaukee right now.
 #1603215  by eolesen

It normally takes 12 to 24 months for a final report to come out. If you throw in factors such as the pandemic slowing down investigative work and analysis, it's still probably too early to be expecting this one to be in a final state.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

#1603264  by EdSchweppe

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 am Any sign of the Final from the NTSB?

After all, there are "a couple of other "headliner RAR's" - Clarendon Hills and Mendon - "in the works".
Here's the NTSB investigation page for the Joplin accident. It includes a link to the associated docket, RRD21MR017, but following that link leads on to a statement that "The docket for this investigation has not been released."

So, no, no sign of the final just yet.
 #1603267  by photobug56

I didn't see anything said about what the engineer could see; IOTW what was on the forward looking camera. They did say that the emergency brakes were activated, as I recall. And if I read correctly, that the truck was stuck on the tracks.
 #1603275  by justalurker66

eolesen wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 amIt normally takes 12 to 24 months for a final report to come out.
Agreed. Expecting a "final" report in less than a year is optimistic. Expecting one in only a few months is not rational.

https://www.ntsb.gov/tda/family/Pages/tda-rail.aspx
Due to the possible complexity of railroad accidents and the extensive nature of the investigation process, a railroad accident investigation often requires 12 to 24 months to complete.

Example:
"​WASHINGTON (June 24, 2019) — The National Transportation Safety Board published its final report Monday for the agency’s investigation of the Dec. 18, 2017, fatal, Amtrak train derailment in DuPont, Washington."
 #1615217  by David Benton

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:21 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:20 pm https://www.insider.com/amtrak-train-tr ... 2023-1?amp
Clickbait list article. Nothing to really see here.
I found it interesting.