Railroad Forums 

• Tropical Storm Ida damage, floods, etc

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1580834  by Ken W2KB

pumpers wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:22 pm Sort of related - looking at aerials maps it seems that the paved Bridgewater platform is only ~100 feet long (one or two cars?). Are Raritan Valley trains that short - or must detraining passengers walk forward or back to the right car(s).

The trains are typically about 6 cars. Yes, onboard announcements are made sufficiently in advance of the station so passengers can start walking to the proper location before arrival, if I recall correctly Bridgewater is between the first two cars. The same is true for stations west of Raritan, where detraining is only between the last two cars of the train. Announcements are made. Regular riders are aware and usually sit in the appropriate cars to avoid the walk.
 #1580923  by GSC

So let the three legislators do the review. The article says nothing can be done yet, as the Senate isn't calling anyone back until after the elections in November. More delays and I'm sure a few dollars to implement the "review".

I'm sure glad these suits aren't EMTs or firefighters.
 #1581215  by Roadgeek Adam

Bridgewater station reopened today, September 26.
 #1581246  by pateljones

I truly feel bad for the auto repair shop that was destroyed by the flooding. The owner gave part of his property for free to allow space for building the flood gate which the train blocked. He should sue.
 #1610356  by JimBoylan

Has there been any more information about what happened with the New Jersey Transit train near Bound Brook?
Was there already water flowing through the open flood gate when the train arrived there?
Did the train stop because its locomotive was disabled, the emergency brakes applied, or something derailed?
Did the train stop 1st, for a stop signal or other reason, and later, the tracks were flooded?
New Jersey Transit says that they couldn't rescue the train until the tracks could be inspected. Does that also mean that their rules prohibit the train trying to move by itself before it becomes flooded?
How long were the passengers and crew on the train after it stopped?
 #1615016  by Ken W2KB

pumpers wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:58 pm Look what I just found in the news tonight. It's not over yet.
https://www.nj.com/news/2023/02/strande ... -suit.html
The article is behind a paywall but from what you can see you get the idea.
Another news outlet report with some details, not behind a paywall: https://patch.com/new-jersey/bridgewate ... lood-gates
 #1615455  by lensovet

pateljones wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:05 am So much damage from the floodwaters, so many businessmen lost so much. NJ Transit will pay millions because of being negligent if it is found to be so.
Well presumably that's why NJT carries an insurance policy. One would hope.
 #1635207  by pumpers

Deja Vu all over again???

The Raritan River at Bound Brook is over 30 feet right now (moderate flooding), predicted now to peak at 32.4 feet, with major flooding starting at 32.6 feet. https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrogr ... gage=bdkn4
Hope the link works.

At what level do they close the gates over the tracks? I hope no trains are stuck in the gate this time! Is there a webcam anyone knows of by any chance?

Jim S

Edit: from that link above, 32 feet would be the highest the river has been since the Sept 2 2021 flood, when it reached 42 feet. So at least this time it will be 10 feet below the Sept 2021 flood.