Railroad Forums 

• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1614725  by pdtrains

Id say the chances of them putting up crossbucks only at public road crossing is ZERO. All public crossings will have at least flashers. Since these are probably, considered "rehabbed" crossings, I think they can use flashers only. I think of they were considered "new" highway grade crossings, i wouldnt be surprised if gates were mandated.

Its all about liability and lawyers
 #1614728  by Bracdude181

@pdtrains When NJSL redid Lakehurst down, busier roads got electric lights put up. One in particular actually has a signal where the train has to stop and wait for all of the traffic lights to turn red red before proceeding.

But the road immediately past has crossbucks only…
 #1614734  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:31 pm @pdtrains When NJSL redid Lakehurst down, busier roads got electric lights put up. One in particular actually has a signal where the train has to stop and wait for all of the traffic lights to turn red red before proceeding.
I have never heard of such a thing. Railroads/trains have the right of way in crossings - the cars have to wait. I know on the NJCL and many other lines, if a train is crossing an intersection, all the lights will turn red for the cars, and the train does not have to wait for any lights to go red
 #1614736  by Bracdude181

Such intersections do exist but are fairly rare. Raritan Central has one too, but the conductor has to hit a button in a box on the side of the road that turns all the lights red and allows the train to pass, and also does it again when the train is across i think.

The Lacey road crossing on Clayton’s track does it automatically, via two aspect signals that tell the train what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1614739  by David

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:42 pm Such intersections do exist but are fairly rare. Raritan Central has one too, but the conductor has to hit a button in a box on the side of the road that turns all the lights red and allows the train to pass, and also does it again when the train is across i think.

The Lacey road crossing on Clayton’s track does it automatically, via two aspect signals that tell the train what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of those exists in Gloucester City on the Grenloch Line at the Route 130 crossing.
 #1614743  by Tanker1497

Bracdude181 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:31 pm @pdtrains When NJSL redid Lakehurst down, busier roads got electric lights put up. One in particular actually has a signal where the train has to stop and wait for all of the traffic lights to turn red red before proceeding.

But the road immediately past has crossbucks only…
This is out of context. At route 530 the train trips the crossing signal (in this case its traffic lights) The signals just assure the engineer that the lights have indeed turned red at which point the train gets a green signal.
Last edited by Tanker1497 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1614766  by Tanker1497

Just to be accurate no clearing has begun in Farmingdale. Only the little bit after the switch off the main in Farmingdale was cleared months ago when they needed to store MOW as train passed.
Let's remember that very little of the FIT is in Farmingdale. Maybe just that turnout and 1500 feet, as it is the border between Howell and Farmingdale. Most of the FIT is in Howell with some in Freehold. Southern Ave isn't in Farmingdale where train crosses. Should a wye ever be built the train will never enter Farmingdale again only to deliver a Tank car RR East. And to clear up some other posted this train never goes to Collingswood NJ that's 51.66 miles away.